Fit Fins on a Fish
Recognize and name the uppercase letter F and lowercase letter f.
- Large fish picture
- Fin graphics—one for each child
The children will fit fins labeled with the letter F on fish as they recognize and name the uppercase letter F and the lowercase letter f.
Fit the Fins
- Write the uppercase letter F and lowercase letter f on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the F and f in the air with their fingers.
- Display the large fish picture and point out that the fish is missing its fin.
- Spread the fins facedown on a table or the floor and explain that some of the fins have the uppercase or lowercase letter F.
- Allow the children to take turns picking up a fin and determining as a group if the fin has an F or f on it or a different letter on it.
- Put the fins in a pile and have the children take turns picking a fin, adding tape to its back, and trying to fit the fin on the fish while they are blindfolded.
- Have the other children chant, “Fit the fin!” loudly when the child with the blindfold gets closer to fitting the fin in the right place on the fish and quietly when the child moves farther away.
- Once the fin has been placed on the fish, have the child take off the blindfold.
- Repeat with the other children, then tell the children that only the fins with an F or an f can stay on the fish. Have the children help you find the non-F fins and place them in a discard pile.
- After removing all of the non-F fins, say, "Now the fish just have F fins!"
Identify the target letter
- Take all of the fins off the fish and mix them together.
- Have the children choose a fin and show it to the group.
- Decide together if the fin should go in an F pile or an "Other Letters" pile.
- Let the children write the uppercase letter F and lowercase letter f on the large fish picture.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the big letter F and little letter f.
- Fish graphic
- Fin graphics
Activity: Fit the Fins on the Fish
- Cut out the fish and fins graphics, then hang the fish on the wall.
- Tell your child that the fish needs fins to be able to swim, and point out the uppercase F and lowercase f on the fins.
- Put the blindfold on your child and have him or her try to fit a fin on the fish (like Pin the Tail on the Donkey).
- While your child is trying to fit the fin on the fish, chant, "Fit the fin!" softly as your child gets farther away from where the fin should go, and louder as he or she gets closer.
- Take turns trying to fit a fin on the fish while blindfolded.
- Repeat until all of the F fins have been fit on the fish, then help your child write an uppercase letter F and lowercase letter f on the back of the fish (support as needed).
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
Fit Fins on a Fish