- Hooks made from paper clips or pipe cleaners
- Picture cards*
- Letter cards*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will make paper hands and use their hands to hang and hook Hs and items that begin with /h/ on a hanger.
Make helping hands
- Write the uppercase H and lowercase h on the board and name the letter.
- Allow the children to write H and h in the air.
- Have the children trace a hand on paper and write Hs on the hand.
Hide Hs and have hands find Hs
- Distribute the H letter cards (see below).
- Have the children hide the letters under their paper hands.
Hook and hang /h/ objects on a hanger
- Display the H hanger.
- Put holes in the paper hands, hats and hearts (see below), and Hs.
- Let the children hang hooks (paper clips or pipe cleaner) and Hs on the hanger.
- Hang the paper hands and pictures of hats and hearts.
- Make comments:
- Hang the H on the hanger.
- Hang hooks with hats, hands, and Hs on the hanger.
- Hooks hold hats, hands, and Hs on the hanger.
- Holes on hands, hats, and Hs hold them on the hooks.
- Hang hats, hands, Hs on the hooks and on the hanger.
Identify the target letter
- Place the letter cards in a hat.
- Have the children choose a letter from the hat and name the letter.
- If the letter is an H (or h), have the children hang it on the hanger.
- If the letter is not an H, have the children put the letter aside.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter H and lowercase letter h.
- Wire or plastic hanger
- Paper clips or tape
- Newspaper ads or old magazines
Activity: H Hanger
- Show your child the hanger and say that it is a special hanger, because only the letter H can hang on it.
- With your child, look through the old magazines and/or newspaper ads.
- When either you see the H or h, point to it and say, "H!"
- Help your child write or cut out a letter H and hang it from the H hanger.
- After you have hung the letters, say, "H on the hanger!"
- Help your child write the H or h and hang it on the H hanger.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.