Find I in the Igloo
Recognize and name the uppercase letter I and lowercase letter i.
- Igloo graphic
- A white box, plastic bowl, or cup
- Letter cards
The children will play a game with an igloo as they recognize and name the uppercase letter I and the lowercase letter i.
Put the letter I in the igloo
- Write the uppercase letter I and the lowercase letter i on a whiteboard, name the letters and have the children write the I and i in the air with their fingers.
- Help the children make an igloo by turning a white box, plastic bowl or cup upside down and cutting out a door and then attaching the igloo graphic.
- Place the cut-out letter cards around the room.
- Have the children find the letter cards and name the letters, providing assistance when necessary.
- If the letter is an uppercase letter I or a lowercase letter i, have the child put the letter in the igloo.
- If the letter is not an I or i, have the child put it in the discard pile.
- If a child mistakenly identifies a letter card that is not a letter I, have him or her look at the letter I or i on the whiteboard and compare it to the letter they found to see if it is the same.
- Let the children imagine that they are crawling inside the igloo to find the letter I. Explain that imagine means to pretend.
Play ABC hide and seek
- Provide uppercase I and lowercase i letter cards.
- Have the children count the cards to determine how many uppercase or lowercase letters they will need to find.
- Choose two children to hide the cards around the room.
- Set a timer and send two small groups to find the uppercase letters or lowercase letters.
- As a group, have the children identify the letters they have found.
- Play another game if time permits.
Write the target letters
- Let the children write the letters I and i on small pieces of paper.
- Have the children put the new letters in the igloo.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
Find I in the Igloo