Find I in the Igloo
- Igloo graphic*
- A white box, plastic bowl, or cup
- Letter cards*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will play a game with an igloo as they recognize and name the uppercase letter I and the lowercase letter i.
Put the letter I in the igloo
- Write the uppercase letter I and the lowercase letter i on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the I and i in the air with their fingers.
- Help the children make an igloo by turning a white box, plastic bowl, or cup upside down and cutting out a door, and then attaching the igloo graphic (found below).
- Place the cut-out letter cards (see below) around the room.
- Tell the children that they will pretend that to crawl inside the igloo to find the letter I.
- Let the children find the letter cards and identify the letters, providing assistance when necessary.
- If the letter is an uppercase letter I or a lowercase letter i, have the child put the letter in the igloo.
- If the letter is not an I or i, have the child put it in the discard pile.
- If a child mistakenly identifies a letter card, have him or her look at the letter I or i on the whiteboard and compare it to the letter they found.
- Help the children recall words from the activity that start with the upper- or lowercase i (support as needed).
Play ABC hide and seek
- Provide uppercase I and lowercase i letter cards (see below).
- Have the children count the cards to determine how many uppercase or lowercase letters they will need to find.
- Choose two children to hide the cards around the room.
- Set a timer and send two small groups to find the uppercase letters or lowercase letters.
- As a group, have the children identify the letters they found and make one pile of letter I's and one pile of other letters.
Write the target letters
- Let the children write the letters I and i on small pieces of paper.
- Have the children put the new letters in the igloo.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Find I in the Igloo