Recognize and name the uppercase letter K and lowercase letter k.
- King graphic (see below)
- Castle graphic (see below)
- Kite graphic (see below) or paper kite (e.g. made from paper with a ribbon or string for a tail)
- Letter cards (see below)
- Bow graphics (see below)
- String for kite tail
- Small pieces of paper or sticky notes
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will decorate a kite for the king as they recognize and name the uppercase letter K and the lowercase letter k!
Practice the skill within an activity
Make the king’s kite
- Write the uppercase letter K and the lowercase letter k on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the K and k in the air with their fingers.
- Show the children a picture of the king, drawing attention to the K on his crown, and tell them that the king wears a K on his crown because king begins with the letter K.
- Give each child a kite to decorate with Ks.
- Mix up the letter cards (see below) and have the children choose a card one at a time.
- Help the children decide if the letter on the card is the letter K (or lowercase k).
- If the letter is a K or k have the children glue or tape the card to the kite.
- If the letter is not a K or k, have the children place it in a discard pile.
- Give the children bows (see below) for the kite’s tail and have them write the letter K or tape K letter cards on the kite and bows.
- Help the children attach the bows to a piece of string then attach the string to the kite.
- Allow the “kids of the kingdom” (the children) to fly their kites around the room.
Apply the skill
Write the target letter
- Explain that the kind king needs a K for every kid in the kingdom. Invite the children to write a letter K (and lowercase k) on sticky notes or small pieces of paper to give to the kind king for his kids.
- Have the children stick the K notes on the picture of the king, or have them stick it on their own shirts (extra tape may be needed) since they could be considered the "kids in the kingdom!"
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.