King of K
Recognize and name the uppercase letter K and lowercase letter k.
- Crown cutouts (see below)
- K letter cards (see below)
- Small pieces of paper or sticky notes
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will get to be King of K for the day as they recognize and name the uppercase letter K and the lowercase letter k
Practice the skill within an activity
King K crowns
- Write the uppercase letter K and the lowercase letter k on the whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the K and k in the air with their fingers.
- Give each child a crown (see below) and some uppercase letter K and lowercase letter k cards (see below) to identify and glue onto their crowns.
- Help the children trace the uppercase letter K and the lowercase letter k on the letter cards.
- After the children have glued letter cards to their crowns, staple or tape the ends together to fit the crown on their heads, and have them say “I have a letter K on my crown.”
- Have the children put their King of K crowns on, then have them write the letter K in the air with their finger.
- Have the children look around the "King's kingdom" (the classroom) and point out all of the K letters they see.
Apply the skill
Write the target letter
- Give the children pencils and small pieces of paper or sticky notes.
- Have the children write the uppercase letter K and lowercase letter k on the papers (provide support as needed).
- Have the children attach their hand-written letter cards to their crowns.
SEEL At Home
Name and identify the uppercase letter K and the lowercase letter k.
- Letter cards (see below)
- Kingdom picture (see below)
Activity: King K
- Take turns choosing a letter card.
- Ask your child, "Does the King of K keep a ___ in his kingdom?" for each letter.
- If the letter on the card is the letter K (or lowercase k), have your child respond, "Yes, the King of K keeps a K in his kingdom," and attach the letter to the kingdom picture.
- If the letter on the card is not a K, set the card aside.
- Have your child trace the letter K on each card on the kingdom picture.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
King of K