Recognize and name the uppercase letter L and lowercase letter l.
- Large letter cards (see below)
- Little lamb and large lamb graphics (see below)
- Small letter cards (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will look for a lost lamb under the letter L as they recognize and name the uppercase letter L and the lowercase letter l.
Practice the skill within an activity
Find the lost lamb
- Write the uppercase letter L and the lowercase letter l on the whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the L and l in the air with their fingers.
- Hide the little lamb graphic under one of the large letter cards.
- Choose one child to lift a letter L and look for the lamb. Say, “Lift the L and look!”
- If the child finds the lamb, say, “Look! It’s the lost lamb!” If the child does not find the lamb, say, “No luck! The lamb is still lost!”
- Allow the child who finds the lamb to hide it under a different letter L while all of the other child close their eyes.
- Repeat the activity as many times as desired.
- When you have finished playing, tell the children that you want to put a letter L on your lamb so she is easier to find next time she gets lost.
- Mix up the small letter cards (see below) and have the children take turns choosing a card, then decide as a group whether or not each letter is an L (or lowercase l).
- If the letter is an L or an l, attach it to the lamb.
- If the letter is not an L or an l, place it in a discard pile.
Apply the skill
Write the target letter
- Let the children write the uppercase letter L and lowercase letter l on the large lamb graphic (provide support as needed).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter L and the lowercase letter l.
- Letter cards
- Lamb graphic (see below)
Activity: Lost L
- Before you begin, hide the uppercase L letter card somewhere in the room.
- Tell your child that the letter L is lost and that you will help your child find the letter L by chanting, "Look for L" louder as he or she gets closer to the hidden letter and quieter as he or she gets further away.
- When your child finds the letter L, say together, "The L is not lost!"
- Close your eyes while your child hides the lowercase l somewhere in the room.
- Repeat the activity as many times as desired, switching roles every time the L is found.
- Help your child write the uppercase letter L and lowercase L on the lamb then repeat the game, hiding the little, lost lamb.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.