Recognize and name the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m.
- Letter cards
- Mouse graphic or toy mouse
- Bag or container
- Book: Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley (Blue Sky Press, 1997) (optional)
The children will help the mouse make a mess as they recognize and name the uppercase letter M and the lowercase letter m.
Make a mess
- Write the uppercase letter M and the lowercase letter m on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the M and m in the air with their fingers.
- Read Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley, emphasizing the letter M (optional).
- Show the children the mouse and the tray and explain that the mouse wants to make a mess with the letter M.
- Have the children take turns selecting letter cards from the bag or container.
- Have each child identify the letter that he or she chose, and then ask, “Does ___ go in the mouse’s mess?”
- If the card is the letter M or m, have the child put it on the tray by the mouse.
- If it is not the letter M or m, put it in a discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as an M or an m, have him or her look at the M and m on the whiteboard and compare them to the letter he or she picked.
- Once all the M letter cards have been identified, have the children make, mix, mash, and move the mess of letter cards around on the tray.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the letter M and the letter m on pieces of paper (support as needed).
- Help the children cut out the letters and add them to the mouse's mess.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter M and the lowercase letter m.
- Letter cards
- Mouse graphic
Activity: Mouse Mess
- Cut out and turn all of the letter cards face down on the table.
- Take turns with your child choosing a letter card and deciding if the letter on the card is the uppercase letter M or lowercase letter m.
- If the letter is an M or m, say, "Mash M in the mess," and put the card on the tray.
- If the letter on the card is not an M or m, say, "Don't mash ___ in the mess," and set the card off to the side.
- After you have sorted all of the cards, have your child mix, mash, and move the items around on the tray to make a mess.
- Have your child write the letter M and the letter m on a piece of paper (support as needed).
- Help your child cut out the letters and add them to the mouse mess.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.