Recognize and name the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m.
- Mouse puppet instructions
- Paper sack
- Ziploc bag
- Pipe cleaners or thin paper strips
- Letter cards
- Book: Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley (Blue Sky Press, 1997) (optional)
The children will help a mouse munch on the letter M as they recognize and name the big letter M and the little letter m.
Find the letter M for munching mouse
- Write the big letter M and the little letter m on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the M and m in the air with their fingers.
- Read the book Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley, emphasizing the letter M (optional).
- Show the children the mouse puppet and explain that the puppet is a mouse that loves to munch on the letter M .
- Scatter the small letter cards across the floor and have the children sort through the letters to find the big M and little m letter cards (support as needed).
- If the children find an M or m letter card, have them feed it to the munching mouse and say together, “Munch, munch, munch M. Munch, munch, munch M.”
- If the children find a letter card that is not an M or m, have them set it in a discard pile.
Identify the target letter
- Hold up one of each large letter card and have the children point to the letter that the mouse likes to munch (either M or m).
- Have one child go out of the room with the Munching Mouse puppet and, while the child is out of the room, hide the uppercase letter M.
- When the child comes back in, have him or her help the Munching Mouse search for the hidden M.
- Have the other children provide clues by chanting “Munch, munch, munch” softly if the child is far away from the hidden M and chanting loudly if the child is close to the hidden M.
- Repeat with the lowercase m letter card.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the big letter M and the little letter m (support as needed).
- Let the children cut out the letters and feed them to the munching mouse puppet.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the big letter M and little letter m.
- Mouse graphic
- Letter cards
Activity: Munching Mouse
- Make a munching mouse by cutting out the mouth on the mouse graphic, folding the paper on the dotted line, and standing the mouse paper up with the picture facing outward.
- Scatter the letter cards across the floor.
- Help your child sort through the letters to find the big M and little m letter cards.
- If your child finds an M or m letter card, have him or her pretend to feed it to the munching mouse.
- If your child finds a letter card that is not an M or m, have them set it in a discard pile.
- Write the letters M, m, S, and t on a piece of paper, and ask your child to circle which letters the mouse would munch (the Ms and ms).
- Help your child write the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m several times on a piece of paper, then help him or her cut out the letters and pretend to feed them to the mouse.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.