- Mouse puppet instructions
- Paper sack
- Ziploc bag
- Pipe cleaners or thin paper strips
- Letter cards
- Book: Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley (Blue Sky Press, 1997) (optional)
The children will help a mouse munch on the letter M as they recognize and name the uppercase letter M and the lowercase letter m.
Find the letter M for munching mouse
- Write the uppercase letter M and the lowercase letter m on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the M and m in the air with their fingers.
- Read the book Mouse Mess by Linnea Riley, emphasizing the letter M (optional).
- Show the children the mouse puppet and explain that the puppet is a munching mouse, and tell the children that they need to find the letter Ms in the mess of letters for the mouse to munch on.
- Scatter the small letter cards across the floor.
- Have the children sort through the letters to find the uppercase M and lowercase m letter cards.
- If the children find an M, have them feed it to the munching mouse and say together, “Munch, munch, munch M. Munch, munch, munch M.”
- If they find a letter that is not an M, have them set it in a discard pile.
Identify the target letter
- Hold up one of each large letter card and have the children point to the letter that the mouse likes to munch (either M or m).
- Have one child go out of the room with the Munching Mouse puppet and, while the child is out of the room, hide the uppercase letter M.
- When the child comes back in, have him or her help the Munching Mouse search for the hidden M.
- Have the other children provide clues by chanting “Munch, munch, munch” softly if the child is far away from the hidden M and chanting loudly if the child is close to the hidden M.
- Repeat with the lowercase m letter card.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the big letter M and the little letter m (support as needed).
- Let the children cut out the letters and feed them to the munching mouse puppet.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m.
- Mouse graphic
- Letter cards
Activity: Munching Mouse
- Make a "munching mouse" by cutting out the mouth on the mouse graphic, folding the paper on the dotted line, and standing the mouse paper up with the picture facing outward.
- Scatter the letter cards across the floor.
- Help your child sort through the letters to find the big M and little m letter cards.
- If your child finds an M or m, have him or her pretend to feed it to the munching mouse.
- If your child finds a letter that is not an M or m, have them set it in a discard pile.
- Write the letters M, m, S, and t on a piece of paper, and ask your child to circle which letters the mouse would munch (the Ms and ms).
- Help your child write the uppercase letter M and lowercase letter m several times on a piece of paper, then help him or her cut out the letters and pretend to feed them to the mouse.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.