Recognize and name the uppercase letter N and lowercase letter n.
- Letter cards (see below)
- Nightingale puppet graphic (see below)
- Craft sticks or pencils
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will help build a nightingale nest out of the letter N as they recognize and name the uppercase letter N and the lowercase letter n.
Practice the skill within an activity
Build an N Nest
- Write the uppercase letter N and the lowercase letter n on the whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the N and n in the air with their fingers.
- Show the children the nightingale puppet and explain that a nightingale is a bird that loves to sing, and that they will use letter Ns to make a nest.
- Mix up the letter cards (see below) and place the cards in a pile face down next to the nightingale and the nest (bowl).
- Have the children take turns choosing and holding up a letter card, then have all the children say the name of the letter together.
- If the letter is an N (or lowercase n), have the children tape it to the nightingale nest.
- If the letter is not an N, have the children put the letter in a discard pile.
- Place the nightingale graphic in the bowl and tell the children that the nightingale can take a nap in her nice, new N nest.
Apply the skill
Write the target letter
- Show the children how to write an uppercase letter N (and lowercase n) by writing it on a whiteboard or on chart paper.
- Give each child a piece of paper and a pencil, and have the children write the letter N (and lowercase n) on their paper (supporting as needed).
- Have the children say, “Nap on N!” and pretend to take a nap on their letter N like the nightingale in the nest.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter N and the lowercase letter n.
- Nightingale graphic (see below)
- Letter cards (see below)
Activity: Nightingale's Nest
- Have your child explain to you what a nightingale is (a bird that loves to sing), or look it up in a dictionary or on the Internet.
- Tell your child that you get to make an N nest together for the nightingale (see below).
- Mix up the letter cards (see below) and place the cards in a pile face down.
- Have your child choose a letter card and then say the name of the letter together.
- If the letter is an N or n, have your child tape it to the nest (bowl).
- If the letter is not an N or n, have your child place it in a discard pile.
- Help your child write the letter N and n several times (support as needed) then cut out the letters.
- Have your child tape the new N and n letter cards on the nest (bowl).
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.