Put Ps in Pockets
- Real pants (or pants graphic*)
- Pocket graphics*
- Letter cards*
- Picture cards*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will paste pockets on pants and put Ps in the pockets as they recognize and name the uppercase letter P and the lowercase letter p.
Paste pockets and Ps
- Write the uppercase letter P and the lowercase letter p on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the letter P and p in the air with their fingers.
- Use a real pair of pants with pockets or assemble the pants graphic (see below) as follows:
- Attach pieces 2 and 3 to piece 1 as the legs of the pants then have the children paste pockets on the pants by gluing around all the edges of the pockets except the top--let dry.
- Have the children take turns picking a letter card.
- If they pick a letter P, have the children put the letter P in a pocket as they chant, "Put the P in the pocket!"
- If the letter is not a P, have them place it in a pile and try again.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as a P or a p, have him or her look at the P and p on the whiteboard and compare them to the letters he or she picked.
Identify the target letter
- Have the children choose a picture card and identify the picture.
- Point out the word at the bottom of each picture and ask the children if the word starts with the letter P.
- If it does, have the children paste the picture on the pants or put the picture in a pocket.
- If it does not start with the letter P, have the children place it in a pile and pick another card.
- Write the name of the P pictures on the board and have the children underline the P at the beginning of each word.
Write the target letter
- Show the children how to write the uppercase letter P and the lowercase letter p.
- Give each child a piece of paper and a pencil.
- Invite the children to write the letters P and p on the paper (support as needed).
- Have the children cut out the letters and paste them on the pants graphic or put them in the pockets.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter P and the lowercase letter p.
- Real pair of pants or pants graphic
- Letter cards
Activity: Put Ps in Pockets or on Pants
- Lay letter cards face down on the table.
- Take turns choosing a letter card.
- If you choose the letter P, put the P in the pants pocket (if using real pants) or paste the P on the pants (if using pants graphic).
- If you choose a letter that is not a P, place the letter in a discard pile and try again.
- Have your child write the uppercase and lowercase letter P several times on a piece of paper (support as needed).
- Help your child cut out the letters and paste them onto the pants graphic.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Put Ps in Pockets