- Q crown graphic
- Letter cards
- Q letter-finding page
- Crown graphics
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will help find the letter Q for a queen as they recognize and name the letter Q.
Q for the queen
- Hide the letter cards throughout the classroom.
- Write the letter Q on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the Q in the air with their fingers.
- Show the children your previously assembled crown and tell them that you are the Queen of Qs. Point to the Qs on your crown.
- Invite the children to help find more Qs for the queen’s crown by quickly and quietly searching the room to find letter cards.
- Help the children decide if the letter on the cards they find is the letter Q.
- If the letter is a Q, have the child place it by the Queen’s crown.
- If the letter is not a Q, have the child place it in a discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as a Q, have him or her look at the Q on the whiteboard and compare them to the letter he or she picked.
- As the children search, encourage them to say the name of the letter Q. Ask questions such as:
- What are you searching for?
- What did you find?
- Is that the letter Q?
- Does that letter look like the letters on my queen crown?
- When all the letters are found, have the children say, “Queen, here is a Q for your crown” as they glue or tape the Q letter cards to the crown.
Identify the target letter
- Give each child a Q letter-finding page.
- Have the children find and circle all of the Qs in the picture.
- Have the children trace each letter Q that they have circled (optional).
Write the target letter
- Cut out the crown graphics and give each child a crown.
- Have the children write the letter Q on their crown (provide support as needed) or have the children tape Q letter cards on the crown then trace the letters.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the letter Q.
Q letter-finding page
Activity: Count the Queen's Qs
- Point to a letter Q on the picture below and ask your child which letter it is.
- Help your child count and circle the Qs that are on the picture.
- Help your child write several letter Qs on the queen.
- Cut a piece of paper into small squares. Help your child write a Q on each square.
- Hide the squares around the room. Have your child quickly and quietly find the Qs and bring them back to the queen picture.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.