- Q crown graphic
- Letter cards
- Q letter-finding page
- Crown graphics
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will help find the letter Q for a queen as they recognize and name the letter Q.
Q for the queen
- Hide the letter cards throughout the classroom.
- Write the letter Q on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the Q in the air with their fingers.
- Show the children your previously assembled crown and tell them that you are the Queen of Qs. Point to the Qs on your crown.
- Invite the children to help find more Qs for the queen’s crown by quickly and quietly searching the room to find letter cards.
- Help the children decide if the letter on the cards they find is the letter Q.
- If the letter is a Q, have the child place it by the Queen’s crown.
- If the letter is not a Q, have the child place it in a discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as a Q, have him or her look at the Q on the whiteboard and compare them to the letter he or she picked.
- As the children search, encourage them to say the name of the letter Q. Ask questions such as:
- What are you searching for?
- What did you find?
- Is that the letter Q?
- Does that letter look like the letters on my queen crown?
- When all the letters are found, have the children say, “Queen, here is a Q for your crown” as they glue or tape the Q letter cards to the crown.
Identify the target letter
- Give each child a Q letter-finding page.
- Have the children find and circle all of the Qs in the picture.
- Have the children trace each letter Q that they have circled (optional).
Write the target letter
- Cut out the crown graphics and give each child a crown.
- Have the children write the letter Q on their crown (provide support as needed) or have the children tape Q letter cards on the crown then trace the letters.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the letter Q.
Q letter-finding page
Activity: Count the Queen's Qs
- Point to a letter Q on the picture below and ask your child which letter it is.
- Help your child count and circle the Qs that are on the picture.
- Help your child write several letter Qs on the queen.
- Cut a piece of paper into small squares. Help your child write a Q on each square.
- Hide the squares around the room. Have your child quickly and quietly find the Qs and bring them back to the queen picture.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.