Recognize and name the uppercase letter R and lowercase letter r.
- R rooster graphics (see below)
- Rabbit and Raccoon team graphics (see below)
- 2 containers labeled with the letter R
- Red crayons, markers, or colored pencils
- Book: Rusty Raccoon Meets Ricky Rabbit by Ann Monsen (Airleaf publishing, 2006) (optional)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to rescue roosters as they recognize and name the uppercase letter R and lowercase letter r.
Practice the skill within an activity
Rescue the roosters
- Write the uppercase letter R and the lowercase letter r on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the R and r in the air with their fingers.
- Read the book, Rusty Raccoon Meets Ricky Rabbit and have the children find the letter R throughout the book (optional).
- Divide the children into two relay teams: the rabbits and the raccoons and place a container labeled with the letter R in front of each team.
- Place the R rooster graphics on one side of the room and have the relay teams line up on the other side of the room.
- Have one member of each team act like that team's animal, hop or crawl to the R roosters, then bring one R rooster back to their team’s R box.
- Let the team members cheer on their teammates by chanting, “Rescue the R rooster!”
- Repeat until all of the R roosters have been rescued and put in the R box.
- Help the children trace the letter R on each rooster using a red crayon, marker, or colored pencil.
Apply the skill
Write the target letter.
- Help the children write the uppercase letter R and lowercase letter r on the rabbit and raccoon team graphics (see below).
Identify the target letter
- Scatter the letter cards (see below) around the room.
- Let the children gather the letter cards.
- Help the children decide whether or not each letter is an R (or lowercase r).
- If the letter is an R, have the children put it near the rabbit and raccoon team graphics.
- If the letter is not an R, have the children place it in a discard pile
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter R and the lowercase letter r.
- R rooster graphic (see below)
- Letter cards (see below)
- Paper cut into squares
Activity: R Rescue
- Place the R rooster picture (see below) at one end of the room.
- Tell your child that the rooster needs to be rescued with a trail of R papers.
- Write the letter R on a square piece of paper then have your child trace the letter R that you wrote.
- Have your child write the letter R on the rest of the papers, supporting when needed.
- Help your child make a trail of R papers to the rooster, and when you get to the rooster, say, "Rescue the rooster with R!"
- Mix up the letter cards (see below) then take turns choosing a card.
- Help your child decide whether or not the letter on each card is an R (or lowercase r).
- If the letter is an R, have your child put it on the R rooster.
- If the letter is not an R, have your child place it in a discard pile.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.