- R rooster graphics
- Rabbit and Raccoon graphics
- Two containers labeled with the letter R
- Letter cards
- Red crayons, markers, or colored pencils
- Book: Rusty Raccoon Meets Ricky Rabbit by Ann Monsen (Airleaf publishing, 2006) (optional)
The children will pretend to rescue roosters as they recognize and name the letter R.
Rescue the roosters
- Write the letter R on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the R in the air with their fingers.
- Read the book Rusty Raccoon Meets Ricky Rabbit and have the children find the letter R throughout the book (optional).
- Divide the children into two relay teams, the rabbits and the raccoons, and have the teams line up on one side of the room.
- Place a container labeled with the letter team graphic and the letter R in front of each team and place the R rooster graphics on the other side of the room.
- Have one member of each team act like that team's animal and hop or crawl to the R roosters, then bring one R rooster back to their team’s R box.
- Let the team members cheer on their teammates by chanting, “Rabbits (or racoons) rescue the R rooster!”
- Repeat until all of the R roosters have been rescued and put in the R boxes.
- Help the children trace the letter R on each rooster using a red crayon, marker, or colored pencil.
Write the target letter
- Help the children write the letter R on the rabbit and raccoon graphics.
Identify the target letter
- Scatter the letter cards around the room.
- Let the children gather the letter cards.
- Help the children decide whether or not each letter is an letter R or not.
- If the letter is an R, have the children put it near the rabbit and raccoon graphics.
- If the letter is not an R, have the children place it in a discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as an R, have him or her look at the R on the whiteboard and compare it to the letter he or she picked.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the letter R.
- R rooster graphic
- Letter cards
- Paper cut into squares
Activity: R Rescue
- Place the R rooster picture at one end of the room.
- Tell your child that the rooster needs to be rescued with a trail of R papers.
- Write the letter R on a square piece of paper then have your child trace the letter R that you wrote.
- Have your child write the letter R on the rest of the papers, supporting when needed.
- Help your child make a trail of R papers to the rooster, and when you get to the rooster, say, "Rescue the rooster with R !"
- Mix up the letter cards and then take turns choosing a card.
- Help your child decide whether or not the letter on each card is an R or not.
- If the letter is an R, have your child put it on the R rooster.
- If the letter is not an R, have your child place it in a discard pile.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.