- Robe or picture of a robe
- Letter cards
- Small pieces of paper
The children will help find the letter R to put on a robe as they recognize and name the letter R.
Put R on a Robe
- Write the letter R on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the R in the air with their fingers.
- Scatter the letter cards around the room.
- Tell the children that they will race to gather the letter cards.
- Help the children decide whether or not each letter is an R or not.
- If the letter is an R, have the children put it near the robe.
- If the letter is not an R, have them place it in the discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as an R, have him or her look at the R on the whiteboard and compare it to the letter he or she picked.
- Help the children attach the R letter cards to the robe with tape or safety pins, saying "R" every time one is attached.
- Allow the children to wear the R robe or let them hold up the picture of the robe.
Write and identify the target letter
- Help the children write the letter R on small pieces of paper.
- Lead the children in doing the following actions with their R:
- Rub the R.
- Raise the R.
- Run with the R.
- Spin to make the R go round and round.
- Rock back and forth with the R.
- Make a list of the actions the children did with their Rs (e.g., rub, raise, run, spin round, rock) and have the children circle the letter R in the words on the list.
- Allow the children to attach their letter R to the R robe.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the letter R.
- Letter cards
- Robe or robe graphic
- Tape or safety pins
Activity: R Robe
- Find a robe for your child to wear or use the robe graphic.
- Mix up the letter cards, then have your child choose one card at a time.
- Decide together whether or not each letter is an R.
- If the letter is an R, have your child put it near the robe.
- If the letter is not an R, place it in a discard pile.
- Help your child attach the R letter cards to the robe with tape or pins.
- Help your child write the letter R on a piece of paper, then allow him or her to attach the paper to the robe.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.