Swim or Sink
Name and identify the uppercase letter S and the lowercase letter s.
- Objects that begin with the letter S (e.g., stone, sponge, sock, sack of sand, soap, soda)
- Large letter cards (see below) attached to the objects that begin with S
- Tub or containers filled with water
- Small letter cards (see below) placed in a sack
- Handwriting practice page (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will search for objects that start with the letter S and find out if the objects sink or swim in water as they practice identifying and writing the uppercase letter S and the lowercase letter s.
Practice the skill within an activity
Swim or Sink
- Attach the large letter cards (see below) to a stone, sponge, sock, sack of sand, soap, and soda then hide the objects throughout the room.
- Write a large letter S and ask the children to name the letter.
- Tell the children that they will need to search the room to find objects with the letter S on them.
- Have the children search for and gather all of the S objects.
- Allow the children to place S object one at a time into a tub or container filled with water and have the children decide if each object can sink or swim (float).
- Make a list of the S objects from the activity (e.g., stone, sponge, sock, sack of sand, soap, and soda) and have the children circle the letter s in each word.
Apply the skill
Identify the target letter
- Put the small letter (see below) cards in a sack.
- Have the children choose one letter at a time.
- Help the children decide whether or not the letter on each card is S. If the letter is S, have the children keep it. If the letter is not S, discard it.
Write the target letter
- Have the children practice writing the letter S with their fingers in the air, on their hands, on the floor, etc.
- Give the children a handwriting practice page (see below) and have them name the letter.
- Allow the children to trace the letter S with a crayon or pencil.
SEEL At Home
Within activity context, name the letter S.
- S letter card (see below)
- Objects that begin with the letter S (e.g., stone, sand in a bag, sock, sponge, soap, soda)
Activity: Sink or Swim
- Gather objects that begin with the letter S (e.g., stone, sand in a bag, sock, sponge, soap, soda).
- Show your child the S letter card (see below).
- Help your child write the letter S on each object using a marker or have him/her write the letter on a piece of tape and attach the tape to the object.
- Fill a sink or container with water.
- Allow your child to place the S objects one at a time into the sink or container of water
- Have your child decide whether each object sinks or swims (floats).
- Make a list of the S objects from the activity (e.g., stone, sponge, sock, sack of sand, soap, and soda) and have your child circle the letter s in each word.
- The activity can be repeated as many times as desired.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
Swim or Sink