- S snowman graphic*
- Letter cards*
- Tray or cookie sheet
- Pretend snow (e.g., sand, rice, confetti, or salt)
- Large S page*
- Cotton balls
- Book: Snowmen All Year by Caralyn and Mark Buehner (Dial Books, 2010) (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will play in pretend snow as they recognize and name the uppercase letter S and the lowercase letter s.
- Write the letter S on a whiteboard, name the letter, and have the children write the letter S in the air with their fingers.
- Read the book Snowmen All Year by Caralyn and Mark Buehner and have the children look for the letter S in the book (optional).
- Prepare a tray with pretend snow and then allow the children to trace the letter S in the snow.
- Show the children the S Snowman graphic and have the children name the letter the snowman is holding.
- Bury the letter cards in the pretend snow on the tray, then let the children search for all of the cards.
- Help the children decide whether or not the letter on each card is an S or not.
- If the letter is an S, have the children put it on the S Snowman.
- If the letter is not an S, have them place it in the discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a letter, have him or her look at the S on the whiteboard and compare it to the letter he or she picked.
Silly snowball S
- Give the children the Large S page and several cotton balls.
- Tell the children to pretend that the cotton balls are snowballs.
- Let the children make a silly snowball S by gluing the pretend snowballs on the large S page.
Write and identify the target letter
- Help the children write the letter S on a piece of paper.
- Set out the tray of pretend snow and lead the children in doing the following actions with their S:
- Slip and slide in the snow
- Skip in the snow
- Sway in the snow
- Spin in the snow
- Make a list of the words from the activity that begin with S (e.g., snow, slip, slide, skip, sway, spin) and have the children circle the letter s in the words.
- Allow the children to attach their S paper to the S snowman.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the letter S and the lowercase letter s.
- Letter cards
- S snowman graphic
- Tray containing pretend snow (e.g., sand, salt, or rice)
Activity: S Snowman
- Prepare a tray with pretend snow, then allow your child to trace the letter S in the snow.
- Show your child the S Snowman and have him or her name the letter on it.
- Bury the letter cards in the pretend snow on the tray, then let your child search for the cards.
- Help your child decide whether or not the letter on each card is an S or not.
- If the letter is an S, have your child put it on the S snowman.
- If the letter is not an S, place it in the discard pile.
- Help your child write the letter S on a piece of paper in various colors and sizes, then let him or her put the letters on the S snowman.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.