Swim or Sink
- Objects that begin with the letter S (e.g., stone, sponge, sock, sack of sand, soap, soda)
- Large letter cards
- Small letter cards
- Tub or containers filled with water
- S handwriting practice page
The children will search for objects that start with the letter S and find out if the objects sink or swim as they recognize and name the uppercase letter S and the lowercase letter s.
Sink or Swim
- Attach the large letter cards to the S objects, then hide the objects throughout the room.
- Write the uppercase letter S and the lowercase letter s on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children say the letter name as they write the S and s in the air with their fingers.
- Tell the children that they will search the room to find objects with the letter S on them.
- Have the children search for and gather all of the S objects.
- Allow the children to place the S objects one at a time into a tub or container filled with water and have the children decide if each object can sink or swim (float).
- Make a list of the S objects from the activity (e.g., stone, sponge, sock, sack of sand, soap, and soda) and have the children circle the letter S in each word.
Identify the target letter
- Put the small letter cards in a sack.
- Have the children choose one letter card at a time.
- Help the children decide whether or not the letter on each card is an uppercase S or a lowercase s.
- If the letter is S, have the children keep it.
- If the letter is not S, place it in the discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as an S or an s, have him or her look at the S and s on the whiteboard and compare them to the letter he or she picked.
Write the target letter
- Have the children practice writing the letter S with their fingers in the air, on their hands, on the floor, etc.
- Give the children the S handwriting practice page and have them name the letter.
- Allow the children to trace the letter S with a crayon or pencil.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter S and the lowercase letter s.
- S letter card
- Objects that begin with the letter S (e.g., stone, sand in a bag, sock, sponge, soap, soda)
- Tub or container filled with water
Activity: Sink or Swim
- Show your child the S letter card.
- Help your child write the letter S on each S object using a marker, or have him or her write the letter on a piece of tape and attach the tape to the object.
- Allow your child to place the S objects one at a time into the sink or container of water
- Have your child decide whether each object sinks or swims (floats).
- Make a list of the S objects from the activity and have your child circle the letter s in each word.
- The activity can be repeated as many times as desired.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Swim or Sink