Recognize and name the uppercase letter T and lowercase t.
- Letter cards
- T color page
- Explore for T letter page
- T writing practice
The children are going to go on a tour as they recognize and name the uppercase letter T and lowercase t.
Find a T for a ticket on the tour
- Write the uppercase letter T and the lowercase letter t on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the T and t in the air with their fingers.
- Tell the children that today they are going to go on a tour, but first, they need to find Ts to get on the tour and to make the tour go.
- Place letter cards around the room.
- Have the children look around the classroom for Ts.
- When the children find a T letter card, have them say, “I found a T ticket to go on the tour!”
- Make sure that none of the children have a distractor letter as their T ticket.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as a T or a t, have him or her look at the T and t on the whiteboard and compare them to the letter he or she picked.
Take a ride on the T tour
- Have one child be the ticket taker, and have him or her take the tickets as the rest of the children get on the T tour.
- Lead the children around the classroom with a wagon and have one or two children sit inside while the others follow behind it in a line like a train.
- Pretend to have the T tour run out of gas and stop.
- Have the children run and find more Ts to put in the wagon to make the wagon go again.
- Give the children the big T page and tell them to color their T.
- Have the children fill their big T with little ts.
Find the target letter mixed in with other letters
- Tell the children they will find more Ts on a paper.
- Display the page of mixed up letters and have the children find and circle all the capital Ts and lowercase ts.
- Have the children say, “I found a T!” every time they circle an uppercase letter T or lowercase letter t.
- Give each child a writing practice page.
- Let the children trace the Ts and then write the Ts on their own using the lines as a guide.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.