Teacher's Tasty Treats
- Treats (e.g., licorice, taffy, pretzel sticks)
- Plates or napkins
- Small letter cards
- Large letter cards
The children will make some tasty treats as they recognize and name the uppercase letter T and the lowercase letter t.
- Write the uppercase letter T and the lowercase letter t on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children write the T and t in the air with their fingers.
- Introduce “Teacher’s Tasty Treats” to the children (e.g., licorice, taffy, or pretzels) and explain that the children will find letter cards with the letter T, then make their treats in the shape of a T.
- Mix up the small letter cards and have the children choose a card one at a time.
- Help the children decide if the letter on the card is the uppercase letter T or lowercase letter t.
- If the letter is a T, have the children place it by the tasty treats.
- If the letter is not a T, have them place it in the discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as a T or a t, have him or her look at the T and t on the whiteboard and compare them to the letter he or she picked.
- Have the children wash their hands, then give the children a large letter card to place on a plate or napkin.
- Pass out “Teacher’s Tasty Treats” and let the children make their tasty treats into the shape of the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t by twisting, turning, and, if needed, breaking them to cover the letters on the large letter card.
- Allow the children to eat their tasty treats.
Identify the target letter
- Write a variety of letters on the board, with the majority of them being the uppercase letter T and the lowercase letter t.
- Let each child have a turn circling a letter T on the board as you encourage them to remember what their “tasty Ts” looked like.
Write the target letter
- Have the children write the uppercase letter T and lowercase t in the air with their finger, then have them write the letter on their plate or napkin.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t.
- Letter card
- Tasty treats (e.g., licorice, taffy, pretzel sticks)
Activity: Tasty Treats
- Gather a tasty treat (e.g., licorice, taffy, pretzel sticks).
- Help your child make their tasty treat into the shape of a T by using it (or pieces of it) to cover the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t on the letter card.
- Let your child eat the tasty treats while you help your child practice writing the uppercase letter T and lowercase letter t.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
Teacher's Tasty Treats