U Goes Up
Name and identify the uppercase letter U and lowercase letter u.
- Paper for making airplanes
- Paper airplane instructions (see below)
- Small pieces of paper for making letter cards
- Letter cards for ABC hide and seek (see below)
State and model the objective
Tell them that they will make airplanes with the letter U on them that will go up and under as they practice identifying and writing the uppercase letter U and lowercase letter u.
Practice the skill within an activity
Make the U go up and under.
- Write the uppercase letter U (and lowercase u) on the whiteboard then have the children name the letter and practice writing in the air with their finger.
- Give the children a piece of paper and show them how to make a paper airplane or pass out paper airplanes that have already been folded.
- Ask the children if they have ever been on an airplane and explain that airplanes go up into the sky and under and over the clouds.
- Have the children decorate the airplanes by writing the letter U several times (support as needed) on each plane.
- Have the children hold their airplanes up in the air when you say “Up!”
- Tell the children to pretend that their hand is a cloud in the air and have the children hold the airplane under their hand when you say, “Under!”
- Have the children write the letters U and u on small pieces of paper to make letter cards.
- Let the children take turns throwing their paper airplanes and have the children mark the landing spots with the U letter cards.
- Tell the children to practice writing the letter U in the air using their airplane.
Apply the skill
Play ABC hide and seek with uppercase and lowercase letters.
- Provide uppercase and lowercase letter cards (see graphics).
- Have the children count the cards to determine how many uppercase/lowercase letters they will need to find.
- Choose two children to hide the cards in a designated area.
- Set a timer and send two small groups with an assignment to find the uppercase letters or lowercase letters.
- As a group, have children identify the letters they have found.
- Play another game if time permits.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
U Goes Up