U Goes Up
Recognize and name the uppercase letter U and lowercase letter u.
- Paper—one sheet for each child
- Paper airplane instructions
- Small pieces of paper or sticky notes
- Letter cards
The children will make airplanes with the letter U on them that will go up and under as they recognize and name the uppercase letter U and lowercase letter u.
Make the U go up and under
- Write the uppercase letter U and the lowercase u on the whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children say the letter name as they write the U and u in the air with their fingers.
- Give the children a piece of paper and show them how to make a paper airplane or pass out paper airplanes that have already been folded.
- Ask the children if they have ever been on an airplane and explain that airplanes go up into the sky and under and over the clouds.
- Have the children decorate the airplanes by writing the letter U several times (support as needed) on each plane.
- Have the children hold their airplanes up in the air when you say, “Up!”
- Tell the children to pretend that their hand is a cloud in the air and have the children hold the airplane under their hand when you say, “Under!”
- Have the children write the letters U and u on small pieces of paper to make letter cards.
- Let the children take turns throwing their paper airplanes and have them mark the landing spots with the U letter cards.
- Tell the children to practice writing the letter U in the air using their airplane.
Play ABC hide and seek
- Give the children the letter cards.
- Have the children count the cards to determine how many uppercase and lowercase letters they will need to find.
- Choose two children to hide the cards in a designated area.
- Set a timer and send two small groups to find the uppercase letters and lowercase letters.
- As a group, have children identify the letters they have found.
- If the letter is a U or a u, have the children keep it
- If the letter is not a U or a u, place it in the discard pile.
- If a child misidentifies a distractor letter as a U or a u, have him or her look at the U or u on the whiteboard and compare them to the letter he or she picked.
- Play another game if time permits.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.
U Goes Up