U Under an Umbrella
Recognize and name the uppercase letter U and lowercase letter u.
- Umbrella or umbrella graphic (see below)
- Clothespins or paperclips
- Paper for making U and u letter cards (see below)
- Letter cards (see below)
- A bag for the cards
State and model the objective
Tell the children they will attach the letter U under an umbrella as they practice identifying and writing the uppercase letter U and lowercase letter u.
Practice the skill within an activity
Put U letters under an umbrella.
- Attach string to the underside of an umbrella or to a picture of an umbrella and put clothespins or paperclips along the string.
- Write the uppercase letter U (and lowercase u) on the whiteboard then have the children name the letter and practice writing in the air with their finger.
- Have the children write the letters U and u on small pieces of paper to make letter cards.
- Pretend that it’s raining and tell the children that they need to put the U letter cards up under the umbrella to keep them from getting wet.
- Help the children attach the letter cards to the string under the umbrella using the clothespins or paperclips.
- Comment that the letter U is under the umbrella.
Apply the skill
Hide the U under an umbrella:
- Cut out the letter cards (see below) and place them in a bag.
- Tell the children they will hide the letter U under an umbrella.
- Have the children take turns drawing a letter from the bag and deciding if the letter is a U or some other letter.
- If the letter is a U (or lowercase u) then have the children hide it under an umbrella (or a picture of an umbrella).
- If the letter is not a U have the children set it to the side.
- Once all of the letter cards with a U are hidden under the umbrella, have the children uncover the letters and check to make sure that only the letter U was under the umbrella.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter U (and lowercase u).
- Umbrella or umbrella graphic (see below) with string attached to the underside
- Clothespins or paperclips to clip letter cards to the string under the umbrella
- Paper for making U and u letter cards
Activity: U Under an Umbrella
- Help your child make letter cards by writing the letters U and u on small pieces of paper.
- Pretend it's raining and tell your child to put the U letter cards under the umbrella to keep them from getting wet.
- Help your child attach the letter cards to the string using paper clips or clothespins, saying "U goes under the umbrella" each time.
- Have your child decorate the umbrella graphic by writing the letters U and u on it in various sizes and colors.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper and lower case letters in the alphabet.
U Under an Umbrella