Recognize and name the uppercase letter V and the lowercase letter v.
- Pipe cleaners or straws
- Valentine heart
- Victor Loves Victoria target text
The children will make Valentines with pipe cleaners and straws as they recognize and name the uppercase letter V and the lowercase letter v.
- Write the uppercase letter V and lowercase letter v on a whiteboard, name the letters, and have the children say the letter name as they write the V and v in the air with their fingers.
- Give the children a valentine heart and several pipe cleaners or straws.
- Demonstrate how to bend the pipe cleaners or straws into a V shape.
- Let the children decorate their valentine heart by attaching the V-shaped pipe cleaners or straws to it.
- Have the children use markers or crayons to write the letter V in various sizes and colors in the empty spaces on the V valentine.
Identify the target letter in a text
- Read the Victor Loves Victoria target text to the children.
- Have the children circle the letter V in the text.
- Read the text again slowly, following along with your finger, and have the children hold up their fingers in the shape of the letter V each time they see the letter V in the text.
SEEL Target Texts
Victor Loves Victoria
Victoria likes to vacuum, but not on Valentine’s Day!
So Victor got Victoria a van.
Victoria likes the van, but not for Valentine’s Day!
So Victor got Victoria a volcano.
Victoria likes the volcano, but not for Valentine’s Day!
So Victor got Victoria vegetables.
Victoria likes vegetables, but not for Valentine’s Day!
So Victor got Victoria a violin.
Victoria likes to play the violin, but not on Valentine’s Day!
What would Victoria like for Valentine’s Day?
Valentines of course!
So Victor got Victoria a valentine for Valentine’s Day!
Victor loves Victoria.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and name the uppercase letter V and lowercase letter v.
- Victor Loves Victoria text
- Markers or crayons
Activity: V Valentine
- Read the Victor Loves Victoria text to your child, then have your child circle the letter V throughout the text.
- Help your child draw and cut out a large heart for a valentine.
- Have your child decorate the valentine by writing the letter V on the heart using crayons or markers.
- Allow your child to deliver the V valentine to a friend or family member.
- Repeat the activity as many times as desired.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1.D: Recognize and name all upper- and lowercase letters in the alphabet.