Recognize words that rhyme with jab (e.g., "Do jab and crab rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with jab.").
- Crab stencils
- Tongs, clothespins, or tweezers
- Q-tip, sponge, or brush
- Sand or beans
- Medium-sized bowl
- Rhyming cards
- Grab Like a Crab target text
Tell the children that they will grab like a crab as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with crab, such as grab, dab, cab, tab, and lab.
Grab and dab to make a crab
- Have the children use tongs, clothespins, or tweezers like crab claws to grab a piece of paper and lay it on their workspaces.
- Let the children each grab a crab stencil and place it on their paper.
- Allow the children to use their tongs to grab a Q-tip, brush, or marker to dab paint (or marker) inside the crab stencil.
- As the children dab on the crab, comment using words that rhyme with jab (e.g., “dab like a crab;” “dab on the crab;” “jab and grab rhyme”).
- Have the children lift the stencil from the paper to reveal the crab they made.
Chant or sing a rhyming text
- Display the Grab Like a Crab target text large enough for children to easily see.
- Chant or sing the text to the tune of “Frère Jacques” for the children, as you point to each word in a left to right sequence.
- Invite the children to chant or sing their line at the appropriate time as you chant or sing the text again.
- Comment on words in the text that rhyme with crab, such as how grab and crab rhyme and dab and crab rhyme.
Jab like a crab
- Bury word cards in real or pretend sand (e.g., beans).
- Use the pretend crab claw to show how crabs make little jabs and stabs in sand.
- Let the children use their crab claws to jab and stab into pretend sand to find a word card.
- Read the cards the children find and invite them to say a word that rhymes with the word on the card.
SEEL Target Texts
Grab Like a Crab
Children: Grab like a crab.
Teacher: Grab and dab.
Children: Grab and dab.
Teacher: Dab to make a crab.
Children: Dab to make a crab.
Teacher: Dab a crab.
Children: Dab a crab.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Grab Like a Crab