Stack Stack Stack
- Black construction paper
State and Model the Objective
The children will stack blocks as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with stack, such as pack, rack, tack, and whack.
Stack on black
- Give the children several blocks and a piece of black paper and show them how to stack blocks on the black paper.
- Lead the children in chanting, "Stack on black! Stack on black!" as they stack their blocks and point out that the words stack and black rhyme.
- Teach a new chant, "Whack the stack! Whack the stack!" and have the children chant as they gently knock their stack of blocks over.
- Ask the children if whack rhymes with stack.
- Have the children chant, "Pack the sack! Pack the sack!" as they pack their blocks away in the sack, and ask the children if pack rhymes with stack.
- Optional: Extend the activity by having the children gather objects in the room that are black and take turns trying to stack them.
Stack a rhyme
- Have the children add a block to a tower as they each say a word that rhymes with stack (support as needed).
- When the stack gets tall, ask the children if whack rhymes with stack, then invite the last child to gently whack the stack.
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., stack, black), then ask them if the words rhyme.
- If the words rhyme, have the children turn their back to you.
- If the words do not rhyme, have them stay still.
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., stack, tack; black, can; whack, crack; pack, back; jack, jar; rack, sack).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with stack.
- Stackable items (e.g., books, blocks, toys)
Activity: Stack, Stack, Stack
- Help your child gather together items that can be stacked on top of each other (e.g., books, blocks, toys).
- Take turns stacking an item and saying a word that rhymes with stack, such as pack, rack, tack, quack, and crack.
- Once the tower is finished, chant together, "Whack the stack! Whack the stack!" and encourage your child to gently whack the stack (knock it over).
- Repeat the activity several times, using different words that rhyme with stack.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1: Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic feature of print.
Stack Stack Stack