- Yarn for lacing a bear
- A square of fabric or paper
- Lace-up bears* (drawn or copied onto cardstock, with holes punched at the black dots)
- Picture of a pear*
- Stuffed teddy bear or picture of a bear*
- A book about bears, such as The Bears Upstairs by Jane Belk Moncure or Good as New by Barbara Douglass (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will take care of a bear and will think of words that rhyme with care, such as bear, share, pear, wear, chair, stare, and hair.
Make a bear and take care of a bear
- Read a book about taking care of a bear.
- Tell the children that you can rhyme with care: bear, pear, chair, stare, wear, square, hair, share, fair, tear
- Show a stuffed bear or have the children help lace up the front and back pictures of the bear (see below) and stuff the bear.
- Comment on making and taking care of the bear:
- Share the bear. A bear to share!
- Take care of the bear. Do not tear the bear.
- Put the bear on a chair or stair—a chair for a bear.
- Do not stare at the bear.
- Give the bear a square—a square to wear.
- Share a pear with the bear.
- Give the bear some hair—hair to wear.
- Take care of the bear’s hair.
- Point out that share, care, and tear rhyme with bear.
Take care of a tear in a bear
- Show a picture of a bear (see below) with a tear and let the children repair the tear with tape.
- Lace up the front and back pictures of the cardstock bear, leaving a few holes open so that the children can repair the bear.
- Let the children “repair” the bear, either by taping a tear, or by lacing the yarn through the holes.
- Stuff the laced bear with tissues or rags
Produce and recognize words that rhyme with bear
- Ask the children if two words rhyme (e.g., bear, care) and repeat with other word pairs that rhyme (e.g., hair, share; wear, pear; there, care; chair, pair; tear, dare; wear, fair).
- State two words that do not rhyme and ask the children if those words rhyme (prompt by shaking head no) (e.g., bear, table).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with bear.
- Teddy bear (optional)
Activity: Care for a Bear
- Take turns with your child saying words that rhyme with bear (e.g., care, share, hair, pear, chair).
- Have your child practice taking care of a bear by acting out the following:
- Comb the bear's hair.
- Let the bear eat a pear.
- Put the bear in my chair.
- Share the bear.
- Sit the bear on a stair.
- Ask your child what other words rhyme with bear and repeat the rhyme words together (e.g., bear, fair, stair, chair, pear, wear, square, care, hair, tear, dare).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Care for a Bear