Recognize words that rhyme with rake (e.g., "Do fake and rake rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with rake.").
- Object graphics
The children will make a fake rake and play by a pretend lake as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with fake, such as rake, lake, snake, make, and bake.
Wake up a snake taking a nap by a lake
- Have the children lay out the lake and snake graphics on a table or floor, then give each child a fake rake graphic.
- Pretend that the snakes are napping under real or graphic leaves by the fake lake.
- Have the children rake up leaves and accidentally wake up the snakes.
- When the snakes wake up, tell the children not to rake the snakes, but to let them slither away.
- Have the children repeat the rhyming pairs that tell the story of the activity: fake lake, fake snake, fake rake, snake awake, and remind them not to bother real snakes.
Enjoy a piece of cake by the lake
- Let the children sit by the fake lake to have a bit of real or fake cake.
- Take the real or fake (paper) cake and "break" the cake
- Let the children take a bit of the real or fake cake.
- Have each child say a word that rhymes with cake.
- Have the children rake up the bits of cake with a fake rake (or their fingers).
- Shake pieces of fake or real cake into the garbage can (optional).
Produce words that rhyme with rake
- Remind the children of the words they played with (e.g., rake, make, wake, snake)
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with rake (support as needed).
Recognize rhyme words using picture cards
- Lay out two pictures that rhyme with lake (e.g., rake, snake) and one picture that does not (e.g., rock).
- State all possible word pairs and help the children identify the picture that does not rhyme.
- Have one of the children use the fake rake (or their fingers) to rake away the picture that does not rhyme with fake.
- Repeat with other sets of pictures:
- lake, rock, cake
- boat, rake, lake
- snake, cake, girl
- cake, bird, rake
Rhyming with fake
- Show the children the graphics of a rake, lake, snake, and cake.
- Explain that the rake, snake, lake and cake are fake and that those words all rhyme with fake. Explain that fake means that they aren't real.
- Say fake followed by one of the rhyming words and have the children repeat the words back to you so they can hear the rhyme.
- Repeat with other words that rhyme with fake.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.