Recognize words that rhyme with fake (e.g., "Do fake and snake rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with snake.").
- Make a Fake Snake target text
The children will make a fake snake with playdough as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with snake, such as fake, make, take, and bake.
Make a fake snake
- Tell the children they will be making fake snakes and demonstrate by rolling a cylinder of playdough into a snake.
- Give the children enough play dough to make a fake snake and point out that fake and snake rhyme.
- Invite the children to repeat the rhyme, "fake snake" while they roll the playdough back and forth.
- Tell the children to shape their snake into a circle and pretend it is asleep.
- Invite the children repeat the rhyme, "wake snake" to try to wake their snake up.
- Allow the children to shake their snake as they repeat the rhyme, "shake snake."
- Help the children recall the words that rhyme with snake that they heard in the activity, and repeat the rhyming pairs (e.g., fake snake).
Read a rhyming text to the children
- Ask the children to listen for words that rhyme with snake as you read them the Fake Snake text.
- Allow the children to repeat predictable phrases with you as you read the text to them again.
- Help the children recall which words in the text rhyme with snake.
- Reread the text and have the children act out the text with their fake playdough snakes.
Produce words that rhyme with snake
- Remind the children of the words that rhyme with snake (fake, make, wake).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with snake (support as needed).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g. fake, snake)
- Ask the children to shake their hands in the air if the words rhyme and keep their hands still if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., wake, shake; cake, gum; take, bake; lake, sake; flake, truck; make, brake).
SEEL Target Texts
Make a Fake Snake
Shake the fake snake.
Wake up, Fake Snake!
Fake Snake won't wake.
Fake Snake is fake.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with snake.
- Long, thin strips of paper
- Paper and pencil
Activity: Make a Fake Snake
- Help your child make a fake snake by folding a strip of paper back and forth in small segments like an accordian.
- Do actions with your fake snakes together (e.g., shake the snake, wake the snake, take the snake).
- Talk together about the actions you did that rhyme with snake: shake, wake, take.
- Have fun calling out an -ake action word for each other to act out with your snake.
- The activity can be repeated several times.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.