- Leaves (real or graphics)
- Tree graphic
- Picture cards
- It’s fall target text
The children will play in pretend leaves as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with fall, such as, call, ball, and haul.
- Talk with the children about how in the season of fall, the leaves turn colors and fall to the ground.
- Place a pile of leaves on the floor and invite the children to do the following activities:
- Fall in the leaves
- Call a friend to play in the leaves
- Crawl through the leaves
- Haul the leaves to another part of the classroom
- Roll a ball through the leaves
- Split the children into two teams.
- Have each team form a line at one end of the room.
- Place piles of leaves on the other side of the room.
- Explain that you will read a picture card.
- If the word rhymes with fall, the first child in line will crawl to the pile of leaves, pick up a leaf, and haul (pull) it back.
- If the word does not rhyme with fall, have the teams fall on the floor.
- The first team to have all the members haul a leaf back wins.
- Read the It’s Fall target text to the children.
- Give each child a pile of leaves or a ball.
- Read the target text again and have the children drop a leaf or ball when they hear a word that rhymes with fall (support as needed).
Identify rhyming target words
- Display the tree graphic where the children can see it.
- Help the children identify a picture card and ask them if the picture rhymes with fall.
- If the picture card rhymes with fall, have a child place the picture card on the tree.
- If the picture card does not rhyme with fall, have the children make a discard pile.
Produce rhyming words
- Give each child a leaf graphic, invite them to think of a word that rhymes with fall, (support as needed), and let their leaves fall.
- Repeat with a bouncy ball, letting the ball fall when the children say a word that rhymes with fall.
SEEL Target Texts
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with fall.
- Picture cards
Activity: Spring and Fall
- Go outside with your child to find fallen leaves, or make a pile of paper leaves under it.
- Have your child cover his or her eyes while you hide picture cards under the pile of leaves.
- Let your child search for a picture card in the leaf pile, and help him or her identify the picture.
- If the card rhymes with fall, have your child stand up tall and stick the picture card on the tree.
- If the card does not rhyme with fall, have your child let the leaf fall into a discard pile.
- Have your child haul the small discard pile away.
- Take turns making the rhyming picture cards fall off the tree and identifying the picture on them.