Feed the Ram
Recognize words that rhyme with ram (e.g., "Do ram and bam rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with ram.").
- Ram graphic
- Plastic bag
- Picture cards
- "Feed the Ram" song
The children will feed a ram food like jam as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with ram, such as ham, jam, yam, and clam.
Feed the ram words that rhyme with ram.
- Cut a hole in the ram graphic where the mouth should be that is big enough for the picture cards to pass through.
- Staple a plastic bag behind the ram's mouth to catch picture cards.
- Show the children the picture of a ram (a boy sheep) and tell the children that this ram likes to eat foods that rhyme with ram.
- Sing the "Feed the Ram" song as you show the children the corresponding picture cards.
- Repeat the song to let each child have a turn putting one of the picture cards into the ram's mouth.
Play a "Scram!" game.
- Identify the pictures of a clam, jam, ham, yam, and ram and place them where the children can see them.
- Explain to the children that "scram" means to run away quickly and then demonstrate how to "scram" for the children.
- Tell the children they will each get a turn to scram to a picture card that rhymes with ram.
- Have one child stand up, and tell them to scram to one of the words that rhyme with ram (e.g., "Scram to the yam."), supporting as needed.
- Ask the children, "Where did he or she scram?" and help the children answer, "To the yam!"
- Repeat, changing the word for each child until all the children have had a chance to scram.
Play a "Bam!" game.
- Make several copies of the picture cards.
- Have the children sit in a circle, and place the cards in the middle.
- As you turn over one card at a time, help the children name the picture then slap their hand on the ground and say, "Bam!" if it rhymes with ram.
Produce words that rhyme with ram
- Remind the children of the words they played with (ram, ham, yam, clam, jam, scram, bam).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with ram (support as needed).
Recognize words that rhyme using pictures
- Lay out two pictures of words that rhyme with ram (e.g., ram, lamb) and one that does not (e.g., boat).
- Let the children help you identify the picture that does not rhyme (support as needed).
- Repeat with other sets of pictures:
- clam, cat, ham
- bird, jam, yam
- ram, ham, flowers
- clam, rock, yam
- toast, lamb, jam
SEEL Target Texts
Feed the Ram
Feed the ram ham.
Feed the ram a yam.
Feed the ram a clam.
Feed the ram jam.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Feed the Ram