A Bank For Frank
Recognize words that rhyme with bank (e.g., "Do clank and bank rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with bank.").
- Small blank piece of paper
- Bank word strips
- Frank nametag (optional)
- Pennies (real or pretend)
The children will play with Frank and his bank as they recognize ad produce words that rhyme with bank, such as thank, clank, yank, and tank.
Frank and his bank
- Wrap a small piece of paper around the cup.
- Assign a child to be Frank and have them wear a Frank nametag (optional).
- Tell and act out the story below, inviting the children to listen for words that rhyme with bank (e.g., Frank, blank)
- After the story, ask the children what words they heard that rhyme with bank
- Repeat as desired, letting other children be Frank.
|Frank has a bank. This is Frank's bank. There's nothing on Frank's bank. Frank's bank is blank.||Show the children the bank (cup filled with pennies) with the blank paper on it.|
|Let's write "bank" on Frank's bank.||Write "bank" on the bank's paper and read it to the children.|
|Now Frank has a bank that isn't blank. The bank says, "bank."||Have Frank give pennies to the children. Tell the children to say "Thank you, Frank!" as they receive their money,|
|Let's clank our pennies into Frank's bank.||Children say, "clank!" as they put pennies in the bank.|
|Frank wants his bank. He wants to yank the bank.||Children say, "Frank, please don't yank the bank!"|
|Frank won't yank. Frank will thank you. You made money clank in Frank's bank.||Have Frank say, "Thank you for the clank in my bank."|
Make a bank like Frank
- Give the children a cup to make their own pretend bank.
- Let the children decorate their cup then tape the word bank to it.
Produce words that rhyme with bank
- Have the children stand in a circle with their banks.
- Go around the circle asking each child to tell you a word that rhymes with bank and putting a penny (real or pretend) in their bank when they do (support as needed).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with bank.
- Small slips of paper
Activity: Clank in the Bank
- Write bank on the cup or a piece of blank paper you attach to the cup.
- Have your child leave the room while you hide the pennies, then let your child back in to search for them.
- Chant, “Clank, clank, bank” as he or she searches, progressively getting louder as your child moves closer to where the pennies are hidden.
- Once your child finds the pennies, have him or her drop them into the bank saying, “clank” each time.
- Take turns hiding or searching for the pennies.
- Together, think of words that rhyme with bank and you write them on slips of paper.
- Have your child clank them into the bank as he or she says each word (support as needed).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
A Bank For Frank