- Star graphics*
- A jar
- The Far Star target text*
* items included below
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will look for stars to put in a jar and recognize and produce words that rhyme with star, such as car, far, jar, and tar.
- Cut out the star graphics (see below) and place them around the room.
- Ask the children to listen for words that rhyme with star as you read The Far Star target text (see below).
- Choose a few children to go find a star graphic while pretending to drive a car, and have the remaining children chant, "Drive a car to the star!"
- After each child in that group has found a star, have all the children say, "Put the star in the jar!"
- Invite that group of children to put the stars around the room again while the rest of the class closes their eyes and chants, "Hide the star near or far!"
- Repeat the activity so that all the children have a turn.
- Help the children think of words from the activity that rhyme with star, such as car, jar, far.
Read a rhyming text to the children
- Display The Far Star target text large enough for children to easily see.
- Read the text to the children, pointing to each word in left to right sequence.
- Invite the children to repeat rhyming words as you read the text again.
- Review which words in the text rhyme with star: car, jar, far.
Produce words that rhyme with star
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with star.
- Give a child a star graphic, have him or her say the word they thought of (support as needed), then pass the star to the next child.
- Repeat so each of the children gets to share a word that rhymes with star (e.g., far, car, jar, par, bar, tar).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g. star, far).
- Ask the children to put their thumbs up if the words rhyme and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme (support as needed).
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., car, jar; tar, par; scar, cat; spar, bar; char, truck; ajar, far).
SEEL Target Texts
The Far Star
Wow, it is far!
I will drive my car
To the star
And put it in a jar!
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with star.
- Star graphics
- A jar
- The Far Star story
Activity: Far Star
- Cut out and hide the star graphics (see below) around a room.
- Read the The Far Star story (see below) to your child.
- With your child, pretend to drive a car around the room searching for stars as one of you carries the jar.
- When one of you finds a star, chant, "Put the star in the jar!" and put the star in the jar.
- Once all the stars are in the jar, have your child hide them while you close your eyes, then search again.
- Repeat the activity as many times as desired, emphasizing the words that rhyme with star as you do.
- Take turns tossing a star graphic as far as you can and then saying a word that rhymes with star (support as needed).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.