- Large star graphic*
- Small star graphics*
- We Are in a Big Star Car target text*
*Items included below
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to drive far in a car and recognize and produce words that rhyme with car, such as star, far, jar, and tar.
Let's go far in a car
- Place the small star graphics in the jar and the large star graphic at one end of the room (graphics found below).
- Teach the children the We Are in a Big Star Car song (to the tune of “Mary Had a Little Lamb”) found below.
- Ask the children to listen for words that rhyme with car while they pretend to go on a car ride as outlined below:
|Let's make a car so we can go far.||Set up groups of 4-6 chairs to be a pretend car.|
|Let's make a Star Car! Take a star from the jar. Put a star on the car.||Have children decorate the chairs with stars. Each time a star is placed on a chair, say together, "A star for the car."|
|Our Star Car is ready. Get in the Star Car.||Point to the chairs, and have children take a seat.|
|Buckle up in the Star Car. Shall we go far? I'll start the car. We'll drive far in the Star Car.||Pretend to buckle up and start the engine. Have children make the -ar sound, pretending to be the car.|
|The car is going far. Let's sing in the car.||Sing the We are in a Big Star Car song together.|
|Oh look, it's getting dark! Can you see the star? We went far in our Star Car.||Point toward the large star at the other end of the room.|
- Help the children recall and say the words that rhyme with car that they heard during the activity: far, car, jar, are.
Produce words that rhyme with car
- Give each of the children a star graphic and ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with car.
- Pass a jar around the circle and allow each child to say a word that rhymes with car as they place their star in the jar (support as needed).
SEEL Target Texts
We Are in a Big Star Car
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with car.
- Star graphics
Activity: Star Car
- Tell your child you will be going on a real (or pretend) Star Car trip, and place the star graphics in a car (or room) where your child can see them.
- Have your child listen for words that rhyme with car as together you sing the We Are in a Big Star Car song (to the tune of “Mary Had a Little Lamb”):
- Play a game in the car (or pretend car) where you each look for a star and say a word that rhymes with car.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.