star jar and car jar
Recognize words that rhyme with jar (e.g., "Do star and jar rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with jar.").
- Two jars
- Star graphics*
- Toy car graphics*
- Stars and Cars target text*
*Items included below
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will find stars and cars to put in jars as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with jar, such as car, far, star, and tar.
Look for stars and cars
- Put the star and car graphics (see below) around the room, then place a star graphic on one jar and a car graphic on the other jar.
- Teach the children the Stars and Cars song (see below), acknowledging the words that rhyme with jar.
- Choose a child to look for a star or toy car graphic as the other children sing the Stars and Cars song.
- When the child finds a star or car, ask him or her if it goes in the star jar or the car jar, then let him or her place it in the correct jar.
- Help the children recall and share words they heard in the activity that rhyme with jar (support as needed).
Tap out sounds in words
- Have the children blend individual sounds into words as they tap their head (beginning sound) and toes (ending sound), then clap to say the whole word (e.g., j (tap head) + ar (tap toes) = jar (clap hands).
- st + ar = star
- c + ar = car
- f + ar = far
- Point out that all the words rhyme with jar.
SEEL Target Texts
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with jar.
- Star and car graphics
- Two jars
Activity: Star Jar and Car Jar
- Show your child the two jars and work together to put a star graphic on one and a car graphic on the other.
- Have your child cover their eyes or step out of the room while you hide the rest of the star and car graphics around the room.
- Learn the Stars and Cars song together (to the tune of "Frere Jacques"):
- Look for stars, look for cars,
- Stars and cars, stars and cars,
- Stars for a star jar, cars for a car jar,
- Stars and cars, stars and cars.
- Have your child look for the car and star graphics you hid as you sing the Stars and Cars song together.
- When your child finds the star, have him or her put it in the star jar and say, "Star for the star jar!"
- When your child finds the car, have him or her put the car in the car jar and say, "Car for the car jar!"
- After all the stars and cars have been found, reverse roles and play again.
- Have fun taking turns saying words that rhyme with jar (support as needed).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.1: Demonstrate understanding of the organization and basic feature of print.
Star Jar and Car Jar