Fat Cat Matt
Recognize words that rhyme with cat (e.g., "Do fat and cat rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with cat.”).
- Story graphics*
- Craft sticks
* items included below
The children will hear about a fat cat named Matt as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with cat, such as fat, Matt, pat, and sat.
Fat Cat Matt’s story
- Attach the story graphics (see below) to craft sticks as puppets.
- Tell the Fat Cat Matt Story to the children using the puppets and suggested actions.
Fat Cat Matt Story
|My friend’s cat is named Matt. Matt the cat loves to eat. Now Matt is a fat cat.||Hold up the fat cat puppet.|
|One day, Matt the fat cat was sitting by the pool.||Show the picture of a pool and point out where Matt sat.|
|Suddenly a bat swooped down. Matt the fat cat jumped to catch the bat, but the bat was over the pool.||Hold up the bat puppet.|
|Matt the fat cat hates to get wet, and he was over the pool.||Ask, “What do you think will happen to Matt the fat cat?”|
|Matt the fat cat tried to swat the bat with his paws.||Have the children pretend to swat at the bat saying, “SCAT, BAT!”|
|But he fell right into the water. Splat!||Put the cat in the bowl with water.|
|Matt the fat cat doesn’t like water, so he swam fast to get out. Matt the fat cat was mad!||Have the children make mad faces and say “Meow, meow!” and “Hiss hiss!”|
|Matt the fat cat knew what would make him feel better.||Ask, “What will make fat cat Matt feel better?”|
|As he walked to his house, his feet went pat, pat, pat and the water drops went splat, splat, splat.||Have the children use their feet like paws and say, “Pat, pat, pat.” Pretend to have water drip and say, “Splat, splat, splat.”|
|Matt the fat cat found his food in the cat dish. Matt sat and ate! He laid flat and forgot about the bat just like that.||Have the children lay flat and purr, and then pat their tummies saying, “Pat, pat, pat.”|
Identify target words in text
- Provide cat puppets for the children to retell the Fat Cat Matt Story.
- While working in pairs or small groups, invite one child to tell the story while the rest of the group raises their cat puppets every time they hear a word that rhymes with cat.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with cat.
- Story graphics
- Craft sticks
- Fat Cat Matt Story
Activity: Fat Cat Matt
- Attach the story graphics (see below) to craft sticks to make puppets.
- Read the Fat Cat Matt Story (see below) with your child and act it out with the puppets.
- Read through the story again slowly, and have your child pat his or her head every time they hear a word that rhymes with cat in the story.
- Help your child think of other words that rhyme with cat, such as pat, mat, hat, and sat.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Fat Cat Matt