Brave in a Cave
Recognize words that rhyme with cave (e.g., "Do brave and cave rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with cave.").
- Stuffed teddy bear
- Cardboard box
- Brave in a Cave reader's theater*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
The children will practice being brave in a cave and recognize and produce words that rhyme with cave, such as wave, save, and gave.
Brave in a cave
- Read the Brave in a Cave reader's theater (see below) to the children and have them do the corresponding actions.
Brave in a Cave
"I saw a cave. I saw a big cave."
|Show the children the pretend cave, gesturing as if it were huge.|
|"I wanted to go in the cave. I asked my friend, "If I need you, will you be brave and save me in the cave?"||Have the children ask each other, "Will you be brave and save me in the cave?"|
"To go in the cave, I had to be brave.
|Have the children wave goodbye to each other.|
"I went into the cave.
|Ask the children, "Is there a bear in the cave?" Pull out the stuffed bear and put it in the cave.|
"There's a bear in the cave!
|Ask the children to make a brave face and tell each other, "Be brave in the cave!"|
|"I gave the bear a wave.
And the bear gave me a wave."
|Let the children take turns waving at the bear. Have the bear wave back.|
"Then I ran out of the cave to be safe!
We were all brave in the cave."
|Have the children hurry back to their spot.|
- Help the children think of words they heard in the story that rhyme with cave (e.g., brave, save, wave, gave), supporting as needed.
- Tell the story again, and this time, help the children to growl like bears when they hear words that rhyme with cave.
Produce words that rhyme with cave
- Remind the children of the words they played with (brave, save, wave, and gave).
- Ask each child to think of another word that rhymes with cave (support as needed).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., cave, brave).
- Ask the children to show you a thumbs up if the words rhyme and a thumbs down if the words do not rhyme (support as needed).
- Repeat with other sets of words: (e.g., save, wave; gave, cave; pave, cat; fave, knave; rave, truck; shave, stave).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with cave.
- Items to make a cave (blankets, furniture)
- Stuffed bear (optional)
Activity: Brave in a Cave
- Build a fort or cave with your child or pretend a room in your home is a "cave."
- Ask your child to listen for words that rhyme with cave as you play in the cave, then emphasize those words as you play together. For example:
- Say, "Let's wave to each other before we go into the cave!"
- When you see (or pretend to see) a bear in the cave say, "Be brave in the cave!"
- Say "Let's wave to the bear!" as you run out of the cave to save your lives!
- Talk together about all of the words you heard that rhyme with cave, such as wave, brave, and save, and then think of more.
1. CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Brave in a Cave