The Rhyming Tree
Recognize words that rhyme with tree (e.g., do flee and tree rhyme?) and produce rhyme words (e.g., think of a word that rhymes with tree).
- Picture cards (see below) of things that rhyme with tree
- Picture cards (see below) of things that don't rhyme with tree
- A bag to put the picture cards in
- A large picture of a tree (drawn on paper or a white board)
State and model the objective
Tell the children that they will decorate the Rhyming Tree and practice saying things that rhyme with tree.
Practice the skill within an activity
Play "Pin the Rhyming Words on the Tree"
- Display the large picture of a tree for the children to see and explain that it is a Rhyming Tree that they will decorate with words that rhyme with tree.
- Help the children correctly identify all the picture cards, then place the cards into the bag.
- Let the children take turns picking a picture card out of the bag.
- If the item rhymes with tree, say all together, "You picked a ____ that rhymes with tree. Let's put that on the rhyming tree!" and let the child tape their item on the tree.
- If the item the child pulls out of the bag does not rhyme with tree, say all together, " ____ doesn't rhyme with tree. Don't put that on the rhyming tree!" and put that card aside.
- After you have gone through the picture cards, recycle them until all the children have a turn.
- Review the picture cards that rhyme with tree that are on the tree (e.g., bee, key, tea, ski).
Apply the skill
- Produce words that rhyme with tree
- Remind the children of the words they played with (tree, bee, key, tea, ski, TV).
- Tell them you can think of other words that rhyme with tree (plea, knee, wee).
- Ask each child to think of a word that rhymes with tree.
- If a child doesn't respond in a few seconds, give him/her an option:
- "How about flea? Does flea rhyme with thumb?" (Nod your head yes to let the child know that they rhyme)
- "Do me and tree rhyme?" (Nod your head yes)
- Recognize words that do and do not rhyme using pictures (see graphics below)
- Lay out two pictures of words that rhyme with tree (e.g., bee, key) and one picture that does not rhyme with tree (e.g., bug).
- State all possible word pairs and let the children help you identify the picture that does not rhyme with tree. Remove the picture that does not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of pictures:
- knee, ski, bug
- TV, tea, cat
- car, key, three
- bee, house, tree
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
The Rhyming Tree