Flee from a Bee
- Three bee graphics*
- One queen bee graphic*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will act out the Flee from a Bee story and recognize and produce words that rhyme with flee, such as bee, see, tree, and knee.
- Ask the children to spread out in the large area.
- Tell the story below and act it out with the children.
Flee from a Bee story:
|I see a bee.||Have children point as if they have spotted a bee.|
|I will climb a tree to see the queen bee.||Have children pretend to climb up a big tree.|
|Oh no! It's too close! I will flee from the wee little bee.||Have children make a surprised face and act like they are scurrying down the tree.|
|Don't scrape your knee as you flee from the bee!||Have the children run in a small circle as they pretend to flee from the bee.|
|When I look up, I see three bees. Can you count with me?||With the children, hold up three fingers and count the three bee graphics (see below) that are on the wall.|
|Here comes the queen bee! Quick, flee from the bee!||Wave the queen bee graphic on a pencil (see below) and have children run in a big circle around the area as they say, "Flee from the bee!"|
- Help the children recall words they heard in the activity that rhyme with flee (e.g., tree, wee, knee, bee, three) and any other words they can think of that rhyme with flee.
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children repeat a set of two words (e.g., bee, tree).
- Ask the children to show you thumbs up if the words rhyme and thumbs down if the words do not rhyme.
- Repeat with other sets of words (e.g., wee, flee; gee, see; knee, cat; see, she; plea, free; tea, truck, wee, key).
- Remind the children of the words they played with (e.g., bee, tree, wee, flee).
- Help the children think of a word that rhymes with flee (support as needed).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with flee.
- Queen bee graphic*
*Item included below.
Activity: Flee from a Bee
- Tape the queen bee graphic to a pencil or stick.
- Decide who will be the queen bee and give him or her the bee graphic (see below).
- Have the person who is not the bee run away from the bee saying, "Flee from the bee!" as the bee chases him or her.
- When the bee tags him or her, switch roles and continue playing the game.
- When you have finished playing, take turns saying words that rhyme with flee (e.g., bee, see, knee).
- Variation: When the person who is not the bee gets tagged, they need to think of a word that rhymes with bee and say "Bee, ____!" before they start pretending to be the bee.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Flee from a Bee