The Rhyming Tree
- A bag
- Picture cards*
- Tree graphic*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will decorate the Rhyming Tree and recognize and produce words that rhyme with tree, such as key, sea, flee, and bee.
Play "Pin the Rhyming Words on the Tree"
- Display the tree graphic (see below) for the children to see, and explain that it is a Rhyming Tree that they will decorate with words that rhyme with tree.
- Lay out all the picture cards (see below), help the children correctly identify all of them, then place the cards into a bag.
- Let the children take turns picking a picture card out of the bag.
- If the picture rhymes with tree, say all together, "You picked a ____ (e.g., bee) that rhymes with tree. Let's put that ____ on the rhyming tree!" and let the child tape their picture on the tree.
- If the picture does not rhyme with tree, say all together, "____ (e.g., truck) doesn't rhyme with tree. Don't put that ____ on the rhyming tree!" and have the child put that picture aside.
- Repeat until all the children have had a turn.
- Review the picture cards that rhyme with tree that are on the tree.
Recognize words that do and do not rhyme
- Lay out two picture cards of words that rhyme with tree (e.g. bee, key) and one picture card that does not rhyme with tree (e.g., bug).
- Let the children help you identify and remove the picture card that does not rhyme with tree.
- Repeat with other sets of picture cards.
Produce words that rhyme with tree
- Remind the children of the words they played with (tree, bee, key, tea, ski).
- Invite each child to think of a word that rhymes with tree, supporting as needed.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
The Rhyming Tree