meal for a seal
Recognize words that rhyme with seal (e.g., "Do meal and seal rhyme?) and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with seal.").
- Paper plate
- Picture cards*
- Seal graphic*
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children they will learn about what a seal eats for a meal and practice saying words that rhyme with seal, such as real, meal, and eel.
Sam the seal's meal
- Tell the children what most seals like to eat as a meal: fish.
- Explain to the children that there is a seal named Sam that likes to eat things that rhyme with seal.
- Choose a child to pretend to be Sam the Seal and give them the seal graphic (see below).
- Have children kneel in a circle with their "meal" (paper plate with picture card - see below) in front of them.
- Help the children play a game similar to Duck, Duck, Goose in which the "seal" goes around the circle, touches each child on the head, and says one of two things:
- If the child's meal rhymes with seal (e.g., wheel), Sam the Seal says, "Wheel rhymes with seal."
- If the child's meal doesn't rhyme with seal (i.e., a fish), Sam the Seal says, "That's a real seal meal!" and drops the seal graphic on the floor.
- The child and Sam the Seal then race around the circle to see who gets back to the seal graphic first.
- Whoever gets back to the seal graphic first sits down in the circle, and the other child is Sam the Seal.
- Repeat as many times as desired, allowing different children to be the Sam the Seal.
- Collect and review what the "meals" on the plates were with the children and have them bark like a seal if it rhymes with seal (e.g., peel).
- Remind the children of the words they played with (seal, wheel, meal, eel, heel).
- Ask each child to think of other words that rhyme with seal (support as needed).
Recognize rhyming words
- Have the children walk around in a big circle and listen as you say words that do or do not rhyme with seal (e.g., heel, wheel, fish, reel, peel, chicken).
- If you say a word that rhymes with seal, have the children take step.
- If you say a word that doesn't rhyme (e.g., fish) have the children kneel.
- Continue to say words that do or do not rhyme while the children listen and respond as explained above.
- Repeat as desired.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with seal.
- Picture cards
Activity: A Meal for Seal
- Help your child identify the pictures on the cards, then take the "seal" card out of the stack.
- Mix up the remaining cards and place them in a stack, face down, next to the "seal" card.
- Take turns turning over a card from the stack, saying what it is, and then placing it on the "seal" card if it rhymes with seal or putting it aside if it doesn't rhyme with seal.
- When you get through the stack, go through the "rhymes with seal" stack together with your child and identify all the cards by saying, "____ rhymes with seal!"
- Repeat the game as many times as desired, and see if you can do it faster each time!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Meal for a Seal