sheep sleep in a jeep
Recognize words that rhyme with jeep (e.g., "Do jeep and beep rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with jeep.").
- Wheel graphic *
- Paper steering wheel*
- Book: Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw (1986) (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to be sheep riding in a jeep as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with jeep, such as sheep, sleep, beep, and creep.
Recognize rhyme words
- Read Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw (optional).
- Set up chairs to be a pretend jeep and add a paper steering wheel and copies of wheel graphic (found below).
- Let children be sheep and imitate the story’s actions.
|Narrator's Comments||Children's Actions|
|The sheep creep to their jeep.||
Pretend to creep to the jeep.
|Sheep get in the jeep.||Get in the jeep.|
|The sheep go "beep, beep" in the jeep.||Pretend to honk and say, "Beep, beep!"|
The sheep want to sleep.
Don't make a peep.
Make the 'shh' gesture.
|The sheep go to sleep in the jeep.||Pretend to sleep.|
|Sheep, do not sleep in the jeep!||Wake up and stretch.|
|Oh, no! The sheep crash the jeep.||Make the jeep's wheels fall off or tip the jeep.|
|The sheep leap out of the jeep.||Leap.|
|The sheep sweep up the jeep.||Pretend to sweep up the jeep.|
|The sheep keep the jeep.||Put the jeep back together.|
Identify rhyme words in a story retelling
- Retell the story with actions and comment on words that rhyme.
|Comments about Story Events||Comments about Rhyme Words|
|Sheep creep to the jeep.||Creep and jeep rhyme.|
|Sheep beep!||Sheep and beep rhyme.|
|Sheep sleep.||Sheep and sleep rhyme.|
|Sheep crash the jeep.||Sheep and jeep rhyme.|
|The jeep creeps.||Creep and jeep rhyme.|
|Sheep weep.||Weep and sheep rhyme.|
|Sheep leap out of the jeep.||Sheep and leap rhyme.|
|Sheep sweep up the jeep.||Sweep and jeep rhyme.|
|Sheep keep the jeep.||Keep and jeep rhyme.|
- Comment on words that rhyme.
- Sheep and jeep rhyme.
- Beep, sheep, jeep—those words rhyme.
- Jeep, sweep, keep—they rhyme.
Produce words that rhyme
- Have the children pretend to be sheep and line up to transition to the next activity.
- Help each child think of a word that rhymes with jeep (e.g., “How about sheep? Does sheep rhyme with jeep?”).
- Let the sheep (children) leap or creep away when they give a response (support if necessary). (e.g., “Sheep, want to leap or creep?”).
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Sheep Sleep in a Jeep