Sheep Sleep in a Jeep
Recognize words that rhyme with jeep (e.g., "Do jeep and beep rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with jeep.").
- Wheel graphic *
- Paper steering wheel*
- Book: Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw (1986) (optional)
*Items included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will pretend to be sheep riding in a jeep as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with jeep, such as sheep, sleep, beep, and creep.
Recognize rhyme words
- Read Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy E. Shaw (optional).
- Set up chairs to be a pretend jeep and add a paper steering wheel and copies of wheel graphic (found below).
- Let children be sheep and imitate the story’s actions.
|Narrator's Comments||Children's Actions|
|The sheep creep to their jeep.||
Pretend to creep to the jeep.
|Sheep get in the jeep.||Get in the jeep.|
|The sheep go "beep, beep" in the jeep.||Pretend to honk and say, "Beep, beep!"|
The sheep want to sleep.
Don't make a peep.
Make the 'shh' gesture.
|The sheep go to sleep in the jeep.||Pretend to sleep.|
|Sheep, do not sleep in the jeep!||Wake up and stretch.|
|Oh, no! The sheep crash the jeep.||Make the jeep's wheels fall off or tip the jeep.|
|The sheep leap out of the jeep.||Leap.|
|The sheep sweep up the jeep.||Pretend to sweep up the jeep.|
|The sheep keep the jeep.||Put the jeep back together.|
Identify rhyme words in a story retelling
- Retell the story with actions and comment on words that rhyme.
|Comments about Story Events||Comments about Rhyme Words|
|Sheep creep to the jeep.||Creep and jeep rhyme.|
|Sheep beep!||Sheep and beep rhyme.|
|Sheep sleep.||Sheep and sleep rhyme.|
|Sheep crash the jeep.||Sheep and jeep rhyme.|
|The jeep creeps.||Creep and jeep rhyme.|
|Sheep weep.||Weep and sheep rhyme.|
|Sheep leap out of the jeep.||Sheep and leap rhyme.|
|Sheep sweep up the jeep.||Sweep and jeep rhyme.|
|Sheep keep the jeep.||Keep and jeep rhyme.|
- Comment on words that rhyme.
- Sheep and jeep rhyme.
- Beep, sheep, jeep—those words rhyme.
- Jeep, sweep, keep—they rhyme.
Produce words that rhyme
- Have the children pretend to be sheep and line up to transition to the next activity.
- Help each child think of a word that rhymes with jeep (e.g., “How about sheep? Does sheep rhyme with jeep?”).
- Let the sheep (children) leap or creep away when they give a response (support if necessary). (e.g., “Sheep, want to leap or creep?”).
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Sheep Sleep in a Jeep