sweep the "eep"
Recognize words that rhyme with sweep (e.g., "Do sweep and sleep rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with sweep.").
- 2 brooms
- Picture cards
- Masking tape
The children will sweep -eep picture cards as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with sweep, such as beep, jeep, sleep, and weep.
Sweep the -eep cards
- Make two lines on opposite ends of the room with masking tape, and spread the -eep picture cards across the first line.
- Divide the class into two teams, and have each team stand in single file lines by the line of picture cards.
- Hand the first person in each line a broom.
- When you say, “Go,” have the children with the brooms choose one picture card that rhymes with sweep from the line, identify it to the other children, and sweep it to the other masking tape line.
- As children sweep, have their teammates chant, “Sweep, sweep, sweep the ___ (e.g., jeep)!”
- When racing students get to the masking tape line, have them leave the card there, pretend to sweep back to their team, then give the next person in line the broom.
- Repeat the activity until all of the children have had a turn to race and sweep an -eep card.
Sweep when you hear an -eep
- Have the children stand in a group and explain that when they hear a word that rhymes with sheep (e.g., beep, sleep, sweep, sheep, jeep, weep), they need to pretend to sweep.
- If the children hear you say a word that does not rhyme with -eep (e.g., ball, dog, car), they need to stop sweeping.
- Repeat the activity with several rhyming and non-rhyming with sheep words.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with sweep.
- Two brooms (optional)
Activity: Sweep, Sweep, Sweep
- Spread the picture cards on the ground at one end of an open room in your house or at one end of the yard, then stand next to your child at the opposite end of the room or yard.
- When you say, "Ready, set, sweep,” you and your child each pick up a picture card, identify it, then race to the other end of the room or the yard while you both sweep (or pretend to sweep) a picture card along the ground and chant, “Beep, beep! I sweep!”
- Race as many times as desired.
- After you race, point out that beep and sweep rhyme, and point out that the picture cards rhyme with sweep, too.
- Have fun trying to sweep as you leap, creep, or say, “Peep!” together.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Sweep the "eep"