Sweep the "eep"
- Two brooms
- Masking tape
- -eep picture cards*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will sweep up pictures that rhyme with beep as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with sweep, such as keep, jeep, sleep, and weep.
Sweep the -eep
- Mark two lines on opposite ends of the room with masking tape.
- Spread the -eep picture cards (found below) across the starting line.
- Divide the class into two teams and have each team stand in single-file lines behind the picture cards.
- Hand the first person in each line a broom.
- When you say “go,” have the children with the brooms
- choose one -eep picture card,
- identify it to the other children, then
- sweep it to the other masking-tape line.
- As the children sweep, have their teammates chant, “Sweep, sweep, sweep the ____ (e.g., jeep)!”
- When they get to the finish line, have them leave the card, pretend to sweep back, and give the next child on their team the broom.
- Repeat this activity until all the children have had a turn to sweep an -eep card.
Identify rhyming words
- Explain that the children need to pretend to sweep when they hear a word that rhymes with sweep (e.g., beep, sleep, sheep, jeep, weep, keep, creep, peep).
- If the children hear you say a word that does not rhyme with -eep (e.g., ball, dog, car), they need to stop sweeping.
- Repeat the activity with several words that rhyme or don’t rhyme with sweep.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with sweep.
- Two brooms (optional)
Activity: Sweep, Sweep, Sweep
- With your child, stand at one end of an open room in your house or at one end of the yard.
- When you say "ready, set, sweep!” race your child to the other end of the room or yard while you both sweep (or pretend to sweep) the floor or the ground and chant, “Beep, beep! I sweep!”
- Race as many times as desired.
- After you race, point out that beep and sweep rhyme and ask your child what other action words they can think of that rhyme with sweep (e.g., creep, peep, leap, sleep, weep).
- Have fun trying to sweep as you and your child do the rhyming actions.
SEEL lessons align with Common Core Standards. Please see the standards page for the code(s) associated with this lesson.
Sweep the "eep"