Fell in a Well
Recognize words that rhyme with well (e.g., “Do well and sell rhyme?) and produce rhyme words (e.g., “Think of a word that rhymes with well.”).
- Trash can or bucket
- Picture cards (see below)
- Metal paper clips
- Fishing pole (a magnet attached to string on a stick)
The children will fish out items from a well as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with well, such as sell, bell, shell and fell.
Practice the skill within an activity
- Put the picture cards (see below) in the “well” (a trash can or a bucket).
- Have the children take turns fishing the picture cards (see below) out of the well.
- When a child fishes out a card, help him or her decide if the card rhymes with well.
- If the card rhymes with well, have the children yell together, “A ___ (e.g., bell) fell in the well!”
- If the card doesn’t rhyme, have the child place it in a discard pile.
- Repeat until all the children have had a turn.
Apply the skill
- Let each child pick a rhyming picture card from a pile.
- Have the children remember their card, show and tell their card, and drop it into the well.
- When all of the children have dropped their cards into the well, mix the cards up.
- Invite the children to pick a card from the well and pretend to yell what the card is so the child who put it in the well can come get it.
- As each child claims their card, have him or her say, “Oh swell! I got my ___ (e.g., bell) from the well!”
- If desired, play a variation of the game again by adding in the non-rhyming cards.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with well.
- Picture cards (2 sets)
Activity: Memory Game
- Lay the rhyming picture cards facedown in columns and rows.
- Take turns turning two cards over to see if they match, saying the name of each card as you turn it over.
- Repeat the game, this time using all of the picture cards, and have the children ring a bell when they find matching cards that rhyme with well.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Fell in a Well