bell and shell store
Recognize words that rhyme with bell (e.g., “Do bell and sell rhyme?”) and produce rhyme words (e.g., “Think of a word that rhymes with bell.”).
- Picture cards (see below)
- “Bell and Shell” store sign (see below)
The children will run a bell and shell store as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with bell, such as shell, well, smell, yell, and tell.
Practice the skill within an activity
Stock the Bell and Shell Store
- Scatter the picture cards on the floor in front of a whiteboard or a bulletin board.
- Explain to the children that the Bell and Shell Store needs their help to find all the words that rhyme with bell.
- Allow one child at a time to pick out a picture card.
- Ask, “Do we sell ___ (item on picture card) at the Bell and Shell Store?”
- If the item rhymes with bell, tell the children to yell (chant), “We sell (a) ___!” as he or she tapes the card onto a whiteboard or a bulletin board.
- If the item does not rhyme with bell, tell the children to whisper, “We do not sell ___!” and place the card in a discard pile.
Apply the skill
Identify rhyming pairs
- Hold up two picture cards at a time, have the children identify the items, and then ask the children if the two items rhyme (e.g., “Do bell and rain rhyme?”).
- If the two cards do rhyme, have the children yell, “___ and ___ rhyme! (e.g., “Gel and shell rhyme!”)”
- If the two cards do not rhyme, have the children whisper the two cards that do not rhyme (e.g., “Bell and rain do not rhyme.”).
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with bell.
- Picture cards
- Large bowl
- Paper clips
- Makeshift fishing pole (i.e., a long stick with string and a magnet tied to the end)
Activity: Bell and Shell
- Attach a paperclip to every picture card and place them inside the well (bowl).
- Say to your child, “The Bell and Shell store needs our help because everything they sell fell down the well.”
- Using the fishing pole, take turns getting the cards out of the well and read each picture card together.
- If the picture card rhymes with sell, say, “The Bell and Shell will sell a ___ (e.g., well).”
- If the picture card does not rhyme with sell, say, “The Bell and Shell will not sell a ___ (e.g., cow)” and set the picture card aside.
- Variation: Hold up two picture cards from the well at the same time, and ask your child if the words rhyme.
- If they do, have your child yell, ”___ and ___ rhyme! (e.g., “Shell and gel rhyme!”)”
- If they don’t, have your child whisper, “___ and ___ don’t rhyme (e.g., “Gel and rooster don’t rhyme.”).”
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Bell and Shell Store