Yell for the Bell
- Bell or bell graphic*
*Item included below.
State and Model the Objective
Tell the children that they will yell and search for a bell as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with yell, such as bell, fell, sell, and well.
Tell, tell, who has the bell?
- While sitting in a circle, choose one child to blindfolded and stand in the middle of the circle.
- Give the bell or bell graphic (see below) to a different child, let them ring the bell, then hide it under his or her legs.
- When the child in the middle hears the bell, un-blindfold him or her while all the other children yell (chant) together, “Tell, tell, who has the bell?”
- Let the child in the middle guess who has the bell based on where he or she heard the sound.
- Once the bell is found, have everyone yell, “You found the bell. All is well!”
- Repeat the game, changing who is blindfolded and who has the bell.
Pass the bell and tell a rhyme
- Help the children think of several words that rhyme with bell, such as gel, tell, smell, sell, and well.
- Have the children sit in a circle and tell them that they can ring the bell after they tell you a word that rhymes with bell.
- Pick a child to start the game, and invite the children to say, “Tell, tell, what rhymes with bell?”
- Help the child who has the bell think of a rhyming word to say, then let him or her ring the bell.
- Continue around the circle, helping each child to think of a word that rhymes with bell.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with yell.
- Picture cards*
*Items included below
Activity: Bell Memory Game
- Lay out the picture cards on a flat surface.
- Help your child identify all of the picture cards before beginning to play the Bell Memory Game.
- Mix up the picture cards and lay them face down in columns and rows.
- Take turns turning two cards over to see if they match.
- When you find a match, yell, “I found a matching ___ (e.g., bell)!” and let your child ring a bell (or make a bell ring on your cell phone).
- When all the matches have been found, play the game again but take turns thinking of a new word that rhymes with bell each time you turn over a card.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Yell for the Bell