Recognize words that rhyme with pen (e.g., "Do ten and pen rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with ten.").
- White butcher paper
- Ten pens
The children will find ten pens as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with ten, such as hen, pen, and when.
Hide ten pens
- Hide ten pens throughout the classroom.
- Explain that ten and pen rhyme and that the children need to look for ten pens.
- When all ten pens are found, have the children that found the ten pens hide them while the other children close their eyes.
- After the ten pens are hidden, have the remaining children look for the pens.
- Count the pens with the children once they all have had a turn to find the ten pens.
- Say, “How many pens do we have? Ten pens!”
- Ask the children to think of a word that rhymes with pen each time you hold up a pen, such as then, hen, when, and den, supporting as needed.
Draw something that rhymes with pen
- Have each child take a turn drawing something that rhymes with pen on the large butcher paper. Give your children ideas of what to draw (e.g., pen, number ten, den, men).
- Have each child point to their drawing and say what word they drew while you label their picture and emphasize that “___ rhymes with pen!”
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with ten.
- Ten pens
Activity: Ten Pens
- Hide ten pens around a room for your child to find.
- Have your child search for the ten pens.
- After they are found, count the pens together.
- Together with your child, think of a word that rhymes with ten to go with each pen (e.g., ten, hen, men) and draw pictures of the words you came up with.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.