Recognize words that rhyme with best (e.g., "Do best and nest rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with best.").
- Bird graphic
- Real or paper feathers of various colors
- Picture cards
The children will make a bird the best dressed guest at a party as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with best, such as guest, nest, and dressed.
The best dressed guest above the rest
- Talk with the children about what it means to be a guest at a party and how we want to look our best when we are invited somewhere.
- Show the children the bird graphic, and tell them that the bird was invited to a party at a fancy nest and needs their help to be the best dressed guest there
- Have one child at a time come and choose a feather to put on the bird while the rest of the children say together, “She will be the best dressed guest in the nest!”
The Best Rhyme test
- Give a feather to each child.
- Mix up the picture cards and hold up two for the children to see.
- Ask the children to test if the two pictures rhyme by saying the two words aloud (e.g., best, vest; dressed, box).
- If the cards pass the rhyme test, have the children hold up their feather and say, “Dressed and best passed the test!”
- If the cards don’t rhyme, have them rest their feather in their lap.
- Repeat by mixing up the cards or coming up with your own words to test.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with best.
Dress-up clothing (e.g., shirts, pairs of jeans, pairs of shoes)
Activity: Best Dressed
- Make two piles of clothes to dress-up in at the end of a space.
- Invite your child to race to get dressed and see who can be the best dressed.
- Once you’re dressed, run back to the starting line and say, “I am the best dressed guest!”
- Ask your child the following questions, encouraging him or her to give answers from the activity that rhyme with best:
- “What are we going to be at the party?” (a guest)
- “What do we have to do to get ready?” (get dressed)
- “How do we have to dress?” (our best).
- Pretend to have a party and comment again that you’re both dressed in your best!
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.