get a pet to the vet
Recognize words that rhyme with pet (e.g., "Do pet and net rhyme?") and produce rhyme words (e.g., "Think of a word that rhymes with pet.").
- Stuffed animals
- Vet sign
The children will get sick pets to the vet as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with pet, such as net, vet, get, and set.
Get the pet to the vet
- Tell the children that the pets are sick and they all need to get to the vet.
- As a class, brainstorm reasons why pets go to the vet (e.g., If the pet is sick, get the pet to the vet! If the pet broke its leg, get the pet to the vet!).
- Allow each child to say a reason out loud and then proceed to take their pet to the vet sign while the rest of the children sing the Get the Pet to the Vet song.
- When all the pets are at the vet, allow some children to be vets for the pets and make them feel better.
Produce rhyming words
- Ask the children which words they remember from the activity that rhyme with pet.
- Allow the children to think of other words that rhyme with pet that weren’t part of the activity (e.g., set, net, wet)
Recognize rhyming words in a sentence
- Based on the words brainstormed above, come up with sentences that use one or more of the rhyming words.
- Read the sentences out loud, and have the children clap every time they hear a word that rhymes with pet.
SEEL Target Texts
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with pet.
- Pet pictures
- Vet sign
- Get the Pet to the Vet song
Activity: Get Pets to the Vet
- Hide each of the pet pictures around the room in places where your child will be able to find them, and place the vet sign somewhere in the room.
- Explain to your child that you need to get the pets to the vet, but they are hiding.
- Teach your child the Get the Pet to the Vet song and sing it as your child searches for the pets.
- Each time your child finds a pet, let him or her get the pet to the vet and pretend to take care of the pet.
- Repeat for each pet picture until all of the pets are at the vet.
- When finished with the activity, chant together the phrase, “Get the pet to the vet,” while clapping for each word that rhymes with pet.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Get a Pet to the Vet