Get Set to Jet
- Jet picture
The children will pretend to ride on a jet (airplane) as they recognize and produce words that rhyme with jet, such as set, bet, forget, and yet.
Get set to jet
- Set the chairs up in four columns with a space in the middle, like on an airplane, with one chair in the front middle for the pilot.
- Engage the children in the following story and activity.
|Let's go to the jet.||Walk with the children to the chairs that are set up like a jet.|
|Is the jet set?||Have the children say, "You bet!" or "Jet is all set!"|
|Let's get in the jet.||Let the children get in the jet. For each student, say, "Let ___ get in the jet." Have the children take their seats.|
|Are we all set to jet? Did we forget anything?||Have the children say, "You bet!" "Not yet! Not set yet!" or "Jet is all set!"|
|This is the pilot. Pilot, is the jet ready yet?||Choose one child to be the pilot. Have him or her stand up when you introduce the pilot. Have the child say, "Yes, we're set. The jet is set." Then have the child go to the front of the jet and sit in the pilot seat.|
|The jet is finally set.||Have the pilot ask, "All set in the jet?" Have the children respond with, "You bet! All set to jet!"|
|The pilot says the jet is set to go. Are you ready? Are you set to jet?||Have the children respond by saying, "You bet!"|
|Ready, set, jet!||Make engine noises. (You can imitate a short jet ride and periodically ask if they should land. Let the children respond "not yet" a few times, before finishing the ride.)|
|Wow! What a jet!|
Produce and recognize rhyming words
- Have the children think of as many -et words as possible (e.g., jet, wet, pet, yet, bet, get, let, met, net, set, vet, upset, forget).
- Make a list of the words on the whiteboard and then make up a story about riding on a jet using as many rhyming words from the list as you can.
- Invite the children to stomp their feet every time a word that rhymes with jet is said during the story.
SEEL At Home
Recognize and produce words that rhyme with get.
- Chairs set up like a jet (optional)
Activity: Get Set to Jet
Note: This activity can be done at home with chairs that are set up like a jet, or it can be done while riding in the car.
- Get into the pretend jet and say, “All aboard the jet!”
- Say, “Are you all set to jet?” and have your child respond by saying, “You bet!” or “Set to jet!”
- If desired, have your child pretend to be the pilot.
- Teach your child the We are Riding in a Jet song and sing it as you go on your trip.
- Think of different activities that happen on a jet to put in as the last line of the We are Riding in a Jet song (e.g., “I’m sitting by a vet.” “And I brought my pet.” “And I won’t forget.” “And we aren’t there yet.”). Then sing the verse you made up with your child, clapping every time you hear a word that rhymes with jet.
- After the “jet ride,” ask your child which version of the made up song was his or her favorite and sing that version again.
We are riding in a jet.
We are set to jet.
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RF.K.2.A: Recognize and produce rhyming words.
Get Set to Jet